Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sticking switch

Discuss the problems with your X6 (E71).
Nictrix

Sticking switch

Post by Nictrix » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Not sure if this is a problem or not.
The P button that switches on and off the cameras didnt feel like the rest of the buttons.
When it was pressed there was a lot of resistance and it didnt return to its original place right away.
It still worked fine but it needed to be pressed a lot harder than normal.
It seems to be temperature related as it was sticky this morning but after the car warmed up it was fine again.
It has done this for a few days now and once the car is warm the button is perfectly normal.
Anybody had anything similar?
It is the only button that is like this.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Sticking switch

Post by Horizon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Does the cameras opereate when selecting reverse, ? Try running an extension lead to the car after it has been parked in the cold overnight, then borrow the wife's hairdryer and gently warm the plastics around the switch, trying every munuite to see if it frees off, if so a new swich may be required .
It very early may have been pressed before you purchased the car, so lav
Ck of use may be a contributing factor.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Unfortunately it isn't a singly replaceable item as it is on a circuit board and appears to be a complete switch set only with the right options chosen.

Realoem lists the parts here and you need to choose the right one for your build.

If you are good with microelectronics then it may be repairable once you have it apart.  All mine are a very light touch and spring straight back so either the return spring(?) or rubber pad(?) seem to have gone bad.  I don't use them very much at all TBH as the sensors come on in reverse and I rarely park forward end in.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:19 pm

All works as it should when selecting reverse, and unless it is cold in the cabin it also works as it should with a light touch springing back as said. It is only when it is cold that the switch almost seems solid with no movement.
I have looked on Ebay for switches just in case I need to replace but they are all slightly different. Even the ones with the same buttons have a different DTC OFF button. Mine has a pic of a car with squiggly lines and OFF next to it.
I wont worry too much about it just now and possibly replace if it gets worse.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Was in the mood this weekend for fixing things so I stripped this out of the car and gave it a good clean with electrical contact cleaner.
It looked like possibly a small splash from a drinks can might have made it stick.
It now works as it should, I should have taken it out weeks ago.
Not much holds it in, the whole centre vent part just pulls out after opening the glove box and grabbing the edge.
This reveals 2 screws holding the top of the console panel in and once these are removed the whole panel can be prised away.
The switches are just clipped to the back of the panel.
Literally takes 2 minutes to remove.