Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2011 40d Engine Problem **HELP**

Discuss the problems with your X6 (E71).
Ashley555

2011 40d Engine Problem **HELP**

Post by Ashley555 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi I am looking for some advise. I have owned this car for 3 years now. It has full service history and have had to no issues until about 6 months ago.
My propt shaft snapped whilst on the motorway and caused major damage to my gearbox. The gearbox and propt shaft were replaced by bmw UK as this part was mechanically faulty and had already been replaced prior to us buying the car.
On Friday, driving along the motorway I heard a horrible clinking noise. I started to panic but managed to reach a bmw garage. I booked it in for diagnosing and left it.
They have come back to me advising that the bottom end has gone☹️ But I can’t understand he that could have happened? No oil lights or engine management lights came on??? It has full service history and I’ve only had it back for 2 months since they carried out the repair? The garage said the oil was on its minimum but normally the car would tell me if it was low etc but no lights or indicators came up? Have they done something to the engine or reprogramming the computer when it went in for last repair? Totally distraught at this and any advise would be welcomed!! Thanks Ash >:(

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: 2011 40d Engine Problem **HELP**

Post by graemeX5 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:05 am

Hi Ash

Sorry to hear the bad news about your car. The propshaft is a known recall but not heard of the engine oil problem before. I take it the work on the propshaft and gearbox was the only work they did two months ago but it wasn't in for a service on the car at the same time.

As the garage said the oil level in the engine was on minimum but it didn't warn you it needed oil, I would ask them what has caused the failure as there appeared to be enough oil for it to run okay.

They may be able to confirm whether there are any leaks from the engine or oil filter/ housing or any problem they can see which has led to this problem and then go from there once you have more information.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Is there any way that as a consequence of the propshaft shearing, that the engine block was ‘shock loaded’?  This causes a momentary distortion or twisting in key parts such as the crankshaft and will lead to premature failure.

It doesn’t explain the loss of oil, but the car could have started burning it if any damage occurred in the bore shape or smoothness, or if a turbo seal was affected.  That might not have been visible in the exhaust plume if the DPF caught and burned it off.

The on board computer should have recorded any indication of low oil or pressure and that would be in the log.  If they have cleared the codes then that in itself raises question marks.

My new 220xD Gran Tourer dipstick says low oil but the iDrive says it’s absolutely fine!  Which do I believe?  The handbook says the iDrive!  I prefer the dipstick.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Post by marti » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]

My new 220xD Gran Tourer dipstick says low oil but the iDrive says it’s absolutely fine!  Which do I believe?  The handbook says the iDrive!  I prefer the dipstick.
[/quote]

Same as myself...old school ;)...but no damn dipstick for the auto fluid, that annoys me...Ive been to the ZF factory in Dortmund for a box service and the Lexus boxes have an auto fluid dipstick and BMW dont!!!WHY???
Last edited by marti on Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.