Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2010 30d M Sport - Carbon Black Diary

Post your photos of your vehicle in here!
Sit

Re: 2010 30d M Sport - Carbon Black Diary

Post by Sit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks for the info chaps, will have a quick look down thorough the pollen filter ducting. Any thoughts on the water issues??

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:23 am

Apart from checking the drains are clear - poke a bit of thin plastic like a cable tie in to make sure they are - no, sorry  :-[
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sit

Post by Sit » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Going to check drains but as its in for brake fluid anyway I feel I may as well make the most of my warranty and get it checked out, I have read about water getting into the rear light clusters and causing failures so don't really want that.

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 am

The water in the tail lights is usually the foam seal going manky.  As you say, it is under warranty so they can get their hands dirty  :)

Sit

Post by Sit » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:49 am

So Christmas has been relatively quiet for the X5 and it’s fair to say it’s undertaken everything askedof it without issue from the present runs, to panto transport and more recently tip runs with boxes and packaging.

It reminded me it’s due a brake fluid service next month so will book that in with local dealer, I have already spoken to them about possible warranty items so they are taking a look at rear lights (inners) water ingress, water draining out of boot locking mechanism on inside and also the two rear boot struts (upper half) possibly failing.

When you lift the upper half of the hatch you have to push it right up otherwise it just sits there, the times I have hit my head because it’s not fully extended is unreal - I think possibly the pressure inside them has dropped meaning you have to assist them, we’ll see.

Also going through all my paperwork having a sort out last night I found some pre-sale service sheets which makes mention of oil leak below inlet manifold and they have written ‘query swirl flaps’ next to it. The work sheet then details and inlet manifold repair kit at some £500 along with a couple of other parts. Would that suggest it had new swirl flaps fitted??

Are swirl flaps an issue on the E70, I know they plagued E46 and E90 models along with E60’s but to be honest I didn’t really give it a thought with the X5!

Cleaned it yesterday after several weeks of constant flood water, grit, farmers muck and it was like having a new car all over again -

Thinking of putting private plate on this year, gloss black badge didn’t turn up so sorted that via PayPal so will order another up and thinking of powder coating wheels black.

Happy New Year to you all.

Si

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:05 am

Car looks great
Hopedully your warranty will come good on repairs

Re the wheels, I’d stick with silver, though ask 100 people you’ll get 100 answers of split opinion
Google image search will give you your answer that ultimately only you can make!

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:09 am

On my 2012 LCI E70 you can adjust the boot to open the boot struts / dampers to different heights via Carly - you can set to low (hit your head) territory or high, perhaps its just an adjustment which dealer can do as well.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Sit

Post by Sit » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks bud, been super impressed with warranty so far.......we will see if that continues!

Yeah I have been undecided on wheels for sometime, the other option is to go for a set of OEM Style 333 alloys which appeared about 6 months after my car was manufactured, or I do like these -

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2418684737

My little girl asked me the other day if we were keeping this car, I have a history of chopping and changing every few months much to my wife’s dismay! I thought for a minute about the question and actually replied ‘yes I think we will’ and that’s because genuinely I can’t think of what I would replace it with (that I can afford!) which would do all the same tasks with such surefootedness. A friend has just picked up an F15 X5 which I have a look round and seems a real step forward but they are still too dear for me at the moment.

So I think for now it’s staying, make the most of AUC and Assist for the year and see what comes. I do harbour a love for a Golf R Estate which offers similar practicality, AWD, mind blowing performance with a map but....mmm I am not sure it’s enough to tempt me out of the X5!

Condorx5 - thanks for our post, sadly I don’t have electric boot  :'( so thinking it’s a strut issue but we will see what they say.

Si

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:10 pm

You do have swirl flaps and they are of a later, less prone to failure, design.  You can get kits to remove them and a few on here have done so.  To date we haven’t had a swirl flap issue reported with the E70.

@ Condor - can you not set your tailgate height on the iDrive, or is that only on the X6?
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:49 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]

@ Condor - can you not set your tailgate height on the iDrive, or is that only on the X6?
[/quote]

The X5 offers the same
In the idrive menus scrolling down to near bottom, I think it’s “tailgate operation” the opening height is adjusted with a spin of the idrive wheel

Re the your wheel choice, check in the buy / sell section, there was a member selling a couple of sets of X5 50d 468’s c/w tyres, whilst tempted I resisted, not sure if still available ?

Though realistically the style 227s look great!

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... 191.0.html
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sit

Post by Sit » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 pm

So the car is booked in next week for a brake fluid service which I thought was reasonable at £62, they also added a 'scoping service' on which is mandatory and costs £20 for them to basically plug the car in and check for any additional faults etc.

They are also looking at rear lights with regards to water ingress and also the water which pours out of the internal boot lock mechanism when you open the boot after it has been raining, hopefully I will be able to get both tended too under the warranty.

MPG has dipped recently, hovering around 24 on the OBC which I think is quite low?? It doesn't get 'driven' as its not really the car for that and spends most f its time ferrying me 8 miles to work along country lanes or the family around the locality.

Si

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Could be that it needs a run in order to keep the DPF clear.  8 miles isn’t enough to get it to regen as it needs  ~20 minutes once the engine is fully warmed up.

Sit

Post by Sit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:50 pm

Is there an option on the E70 to do a forced regen?? Could be a problem moving forward as I don’t venture any further thank about 10-12 miles on a regular basis.

Si

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Winter mpg always drops 4-5mpg as more consumer units are used

I dropped down to 28/29mpg over 600miles at 70/74mph in summer the same journey returns 32/33
Thirsty tanks!

Re the forced regen, it can be done on Carly or coding software, otherwise the dealer can do it with similar methods

Sit

Post by Sit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks for the info, it’s in with BMW next week as mentioned so I will ask them if they are able to take a reading or establish how ‘coked’ up the DPF is perhaps??

In other news this arrived today -

It’s a roll/strip of anti rattle adhesive felt tape, I have an annoying plastic sounding rattle over my left shoulder when sat in the drivers seat. Having done a bit of research I think it’s the striker catches where the rear seats fold down. Read a few threads from people suffering the same, initially I thought it could be the often mentioned boot rattle, but think it sounds closer than that.

Going to wrap the rear seat catches with a piece of the felt and see what happens......

Si