Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Automatic headlights

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Automatic headlights

Post by pvr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Was testing the automatic headlights last night for the first time in an area of country roads and some bigger A roads.

Even though I liked it, not sure if anyone around me would have been that impressed. If a car was about 100 meters ahead of me, the main beams would come on burning his neck hairs I would think :D

It was dealing better with oncoming traffic though.

Is this adjustable at all as I would feel more comfortable using it if were not so active.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Automatic headlights

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Calibration?

The ones on my Gran Tourer won’t go back to full beam without a split (LED matrix lighting) until the car ahead is much further away than that - if the camera can see head or tail lights at all it puts a low beam notch on them.. The system even takes note of streetlights!

I haven’t seen a sensitivity setting in Carly (yet) but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t one hidden away somewhere.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

silverbeemersurfer

Re: Automatic headlights

Post by silverbeemersurfer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:59 pm

I have a 2016 F15 X5 3.0D M Sport with adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights and main beam assist. They work the same as the latest "split beam" headlights where both main beams operate independently of each other. The sensitivity of the main beams is excellent and the way in which the main beams move to prevent dazzling the car in front or coming the opposite way is amazing , at times the nearside headlight illuminates the nearside verge on main beam along the side of the car in front without any dazzling.
You can see the "shutters" actually moving the light beams about, very impressive. The sensitivity of the auto dipping is much better than a previous 2014 X3 which was much slower and often got me "flashed" due to late dipping!!!