Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adaptive cruise

kenniff

Re: Adaptive cruise

Post by kenniff » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:49 pm

[quote="poolie"]
I have this on my new X5 picking up this week. when I test drove the new e class their was a function on there that the car drove itself aslong as you kept your hands next to steering wheel is this the same option?
[/quote]

When I bought (nearly a year ago) if you specified "Driving Assistant Plus" you got the "active cruise control" and  "traffic jam assist". The latter works only on motorways and only up to 35 mph and it will indeed steer the car for you as well as stopping you from running into the car in front. The drawback is that you do have to have at least 1 hand on the wheel - if you don't it tells you and makes noises. Frankly if I have a hand on the wheel I find i automatically steer the car anyway.

Also, one other issue with TJA is that (as with active cruise control) is that it leaves a big enough gap to the next car that everyone and his brother will cut in in front of you when they decide they need to be in that lane. Even with the distance from next car setting at its shortest, people will always see a gap that they think  means you've invited them in. I'm all for maintaining a safe distance when driving on a motorway, but when in a slow moving traffic jam on a motorway I find the distance it leaves to be too far. Ultimately, if you don't want people constantly cutting in you have to turn it off.

"Lane Departure Warning" is on all new X5s (part of the Driving Assistant" package - and it just tells you (via steering wheel feedback) when you leave a lane.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

Rassi

Post by Rassi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:44 pm

I am until now also less than enthused about the ACC - it leaves a too big gap before slowing down, and I find that it is too abrupt in scrubbing off speed/braking - maybe it is the speed differential that is too big, as I do tend to make progress, and I would rather coast up to the car in front, leaving a safe gap, rather than keeping a 2 second distance, but maybe it is just me being too aggressive. Would have preferred to be able to choose between ACC and normal CC.
‘17 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
ex '15 BMW X5 M50D
ex'14 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW Z4 Coupe
ex '14 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI
ex '11 BMW M3 DCT
ex '11 BMW X3 30D
ex '07 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW X3 35D
ex '02 BMW M5
ex '98 Mercedes C43 T AMG        
ex '99 BMW M Coupe
ex '93 Alfa Romeo 164 24V

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:08 pm

[quote="Rassi"]
I am until now also less than enthused about the ACC - it leaves a too big gap before slowing down, and I find that it is too abrupt in scrubbing off speed/braking - maybe it is the speed differential that is too big, as I do tend to make progress, and I would rather coast up to the car in front, leaving a safe gap, rather than keeping a 2 second distance, but maybe it is just me being too aggressive. Would have preferred to be able to choose between ACC and normal CC.
[/quote]

I actually like the ACC - its just the TJA that causes me issues. Its true that ACC does mean that people don't move out the way as you approach them - because it stops you before they've got the hint and they think you are perfectly happy to just follow them. However, if I am in a hurry I just "manually" speed up a bit to see if they get the idea. :)
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

RichM50d

Post by RichM50d » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm

[quote="kenniff"]
[quote="poolie"]
I have this on my new X5 picking up this week. when I test drove the new e class their was a function on there that the car drove itself aslong as you kept your hands next to steering wheel is this the same option?
[/quote]

When I bought (nearly a year ago) if you specified "Driving Assistant Plus" you got the "active cruise control" and  "traffic jam assist". The latter works only on motorways and only up to 35 mph and it will indeed steer the car for you as well as stopping you from running into the car in front. The drawback is that you do have to have at least 1 hand on the wheel - if you don't it tells you and makes noises. Frankly if I have a hand on the wheel I find i automatically steer the car anyway.

Also, one other issue with TJA is that (as with active cruise control) is that it leaves a big enough gap to the next car that everyone and his brother will cut in in front of you when they decide they need to be in that lane. Even with the distance from next car setting at its shortest, people will always see a gap that they think  means you've invited them in. I'm all for maintaining a safe distance when driving on a motorway, but when in a slow moving traffic jam on a motorway I find the distance it leaves to be too far. Ultimately, if you don't want people constantly cutting in you have to turn it off.

"Lane Departure Warning" is on all new X5s (part of the Driving Assistant" package - and it just tells you (via steering wheel feedback) when you leave a lane.
[/quote]

I’ve switched the Lane Departure Warning off on my car, as I got fed up with the steering wheel vibrating the whole time!

Gilly1964

Post by Gilly1964 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 pm

[quote="RichM50d"]
I’ve switched the Lane Departure Warning off on my car, as I got fed up with the steering wheel vibrating the whole time!
[/quote]Not wishing to appear facetious but why not drive ‘properly’ and use the indicators for that ‘one’ time it saves your blushes?

Rassi

Post by Rassi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:26 am

[quote="Gilly1964"]
[quote="RichM50d"]
[/quote]Not wishing to appear facetious but why not drive ‘properly’ and use the indicators for that ‘one’ time it saves your blushes?
[/quote]

I turned off Lane Departure Warning too, even using the indicators (like all BMW drivers are known to do...) I found it very sensitive and the vibrations were annoying me.
‘17 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
ex '15 BMW X5 M50D
ex'14 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW Z4 Coupe
ex '14 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI
ex '11 BMW M3 DCT
ex '11 BMW X3 30D
ex '07 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW X3 35D
ex '02 BMW M5
ex '98 Mercedes C43 T AMG        
ex '99 BMW M Coupe
ex '93 Alfa Romeo 164 24V

RichM50d

Post by RichM50d » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:49 am

[quote="Gilly1964"]
[quote="RichM50d"]
[/quote]

Drive properly? What a stupid comment.

Have you used LDW? It vibrates EVERY time you get near the white lines.

Gilly1964

Post by Gilly1964 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 am

[quote="RichM50d"]

[/quote]
No it doesn’t!

If you use your indicators to change lane, as you are required to do by the Highway Code (hence driving ‘properly), then LDW does not react.

RichM50d

Post by RichM50d » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:52 pm

[quote="Gilly1964"]
[quote="RichM50d"]

[/quote]
No it doesn’t!

If you use your indicators to change lane, as you are required to do by the Highway Code (hence driving ‘properly), then LDW does not react.
[/quote]

Who said anything about changing lane?

Gilly1964

Post by Gilly1964 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:51 pm

[quote="RichM50d"]
Who said anything about changing lane?
[/quote]What other white lines are you driving over then?

BKRM50D

Re: Adaptive cruise UPDATE ....

Post by BKRM50D » Wed May 09, 2018 1:39 pm

After starting this thread in February ,it’s taken till now  to find the right car and hoping to collect on Friday . As follows ; M50D dec 2017, ruby black , 21” wheels , ivory white Nappa leather, comfort seats, DRIVER ASSIST PLUS, surround cameras , etc . Pics to follow  :camera:

Dogzyboy

Re: Adaptive cruise UPDATE ....

Post by Dogzyboy » Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 pm

[quote="bkr50d"]
After starting this thread in February ,it’s taken till now  to find the right car and hoping to collect on Friday . As follows ; M50D dec 2017, ruby black , 21” wheels , ivory white Nappa leather, comfort seats, DRIVER ASSIST PLUS, surround cameras , etc . Pics to follow  :camera:
[/quote]

Happy days, sounds cracking, congrats.

TheHerd

Post by TheHerd » Thu May 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Anyone know if it's possible to retrofit ACC and Surround View?
both seem like a lot of hardware with Radar Detectors and a number of cameras but would be great if it's possible.
(SOLD) 2006 BMW E53 X5 3.0d MSport 20" OEM Rims
20mm Spacers | LED Interior Lights incl NPlate | HID kits | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LED Angel Eyes | 2016 Maps | Digital TV | Upgraded AMP | Engine Remap | LED Tails | LED Side Repeaters | Subwoofer |

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm

See if there is an official kit from BMW.  Realoem has the full list.  If there isn’t then you’ll need to identify the relevant hardware by going through the electronics pages.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bimjim

Post by bimjim » Fri May 11, 2018 11:34 am

[quote="TheHerd"]
Anyone know if it's possible to retrofit ACC and Surround View?
both seem like a lot of hardware with Radar Detectors and a number of cameras but would be great if it's possible.
[/quote]

Technically probably possible, but it wouldn't be cheap or easy I don't think.
Current: 2015 F15 X5 M50d
Previous: 2007 E70 X5 4.8 M Sport