Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buying advice 2nd hand 3.0SE

freaknout

Buying advice 2nd hand 3.0SE

Post by freaknout » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:51 am

Hi all

I'm a long been a member and have always been interested in the X5 and now I think f15 is probably the way to go. I'm looking at some of the 3.0 SE's in the BMW dealer network and wanted 7 seats, low miles and generally reliable motoring for a few years.

I've spied two decent options. One is absolutely loaded with extras like towbar, LED headlights, heads up display, etc, etc and the other is slightly older, has less spec but less miles. It also looks (as far as I can tell in photos) looks better maintained/looked after.

I suppose what I'm asking is, generally, is the F15 the type of car you need to look after and the condition and reliability is enhanced by doing so? How reliable are the more techy options? Will I regret not going for more toys?

Many thanks for your advice.

Jay

Rassi

Re: Buying advice 2nd hand 3.0SE

Post by Rassi » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:41 am

I would look for an AUC one, with the options that you want - mileage for me is somewhat less important, as a higher mileage diesel used for motorways IMO is better than a diesel with low mileage that has done city duties.

Unfortunately BMW has set extremely long service intervals, of 30.000 km between oil changes, and most owners are unlikely to have done interim oil changes.

In terms of options, personally I would not be without LED, HUD, upgraded hifi (Harman Kardon or B&O), and surround view and adaptive suspension.
‘17 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
ex '15 BMW X5 M50D
ex'14 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW Z4 Coupe
ex '14 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI
ex '11 BMW M3 DCT
ex '11 BMW X3 30D
ex '07 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW X3 35D
ex '02 BMW M5
ex '98 Mercedes C43 T AMG        
ex '99 BMW M Coupe
ex '93 Alfa Romeo 164 24V

freaknout

Post by freaknout » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks Rassi

I am definitely looking at the BMW AUC vehicles. Agree, better to buy on condition than be a slave to mileage but that's difficult (but not impossible) given you the short list is drawn up online and vehicles might be significant distance away.

Ah that's right BMW use condition based servicing exclusively? What is it about the LED's that make them better than the adaptive xenons? A practical and material improvement or just convenience?

FWIW my list of preferred options are; sports seats; harmon/k; pana roof; 7 seats; xenons; folding mirrors (I live in London!).

I must admit I am a bit confused with the suspension options. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere?

Thanks
Jay

Rassi

Post by Rassi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 pm

[quote="freaknout"]

Ah that's right BMW use condition based servicing exclusively? What is it about the LED's that make them better than the adaptive xenons? A practical and material improvement or just convenience?

FWIW my list of preferred options are; sports seats; harmon/k; pana roof; 7 seats; xenons; folding mirrors (I live in London!).

I must admit I am a bit confused with the suspension options. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere?

Thanks
Jay
[/quote]

Their ability to selectively light up the road ahead/split the beams, effectively allowing high beams 90 % of the time is quite extraordinary. Less material is that they look cool, and get rid of the halogen indicators bulbs. I had them on my F10 M5 and now just used to that level of light output that I would always look for this option, so probably personal preferences.

You are right about the multifunction/comfort seats, well worth looking out for, as the backrest can be shaped to fit your back curvature, etc.

Suspension: Basic (non adjustable), M adaptive and the Dynamic (active roll bars + adaptive + torque vectoring). Would recommend at least M adaptive, Dynamic is rare (I have it, and really like it as it is the best of both worlds in terms of ride comfort and handling).
ex '15 BMW X5 M50D
ex'14 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW Z4 Coupe
ex '11 BMW M3 DCT
ex '11 BMW X3 30D
ex '07 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW X3 35D
ex '02 BMW M5
ex '99 BMW M Coupe

freaknout

Post by freaknout » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Thanks Rassi, very useful, especially the information on the suspension. I expect the M adaptive (std) is rare on the SE?

I've missed out on the one with LED lighting purely due to not being able to make a decision.

Back to the drawing board!

Rassi

Post by Rassi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:43 pm

Taken from somewhere else:

“The 2014 UK brochure states:

SE Trim
Adaptive Comfort Suspension is a cost option 2VM (£1495)
Adaptive Dymanic Suspension is a cost option 2VP (£2495 not with 3rd Row)

M Sport
Adaptive M Suspension is standard 2VF (not for 25d)
Adaptive Dymanic Suspension is a cost option 2VP (£2495 not with 3rd Row)

Brochure says:

The Adaptive Suspension Comfort package delivers maximum driving comfort while retaining hallmark BMW driving dynamics. It lets you individually adjust the suspension and damping response at any time. The rear axle air suspension guarantees a consistently high level of driving comfort regardless of the number of passengers or load you are carrying.

The Adaptive Suspension Dynamic package lets you optimise the dynamic potential of your car further. Dynamic Performance Control and Dynamic Drive guarantee exceptionally sporty driving dynamics, reflected in a very neutral steering response and minimum side tilt when taking corners. All while retaining a high level of drive comfort.

Increased driving dynamics: the Adaptive M Suspension gets maximum potential out of your car. Features include Dynamic Damper Control and air suspension at the rear axle, with a set-up designed for a particularly sporty driving response. The Adaptive M Suspension is only available as part of the M Sport model.
ex '15 BMW X5 M50D
ex'14 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW Z4 Coupe
ex '11 BMW M3 DCT
ex '11 BMW X3 30D
ex '07 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW X3 35D
ex '02 BMW M5
ex '99 BMW M Coupe

RichM50d

Post by RichM50d » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:59 am

I have the adaptive headlight option with my Xenons, and they have the same features as described above, but with a different bulb/ brightness. Plus, I’ve got rid of the halogen indicator bulbs, so have saved a decent amount of money. If I was ordering a new car though, I’d probably tick the LED headlight option!

X5M50d

Post by X5M50d » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:17 am

[quote="RichM50d"]
I have the adaptive headlight option with my Xenons, and they have the same features as described above, but with a different bulb/ brightness. Plus, I’ve got rid of the halogen indicator bulbs, so have saved a decent amount of money. If I was ordering a new car though, I’d probably tick the LED headlight option!
[/quote]

What did you do to get rid of the halogen indicator bulbs?
Any pictures of before and after?
Cheers

freaknout

Post by freaknout » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:30 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

One more quick question on the suspension set-ups. Will the Adaptive M be more comfortable than the standard set-up? I wonder whether I should be looking at the M Sport instead of the SE, but with the requirement (from the better half) to have the 7 seat option it's cutting down the numbers available.

Thanks

Rassi

Post by Rassi » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:33 am

Not sure, but I imagine that as the passive dampers have to cater for all situations, they will be somewhere between Comfort and Sport on the adaptive M dampers, therefore adaptive in Comfort should be more comfortable than passive - but maybe best to test drive to be sure.
ex '15 BMW X5 M50D
ex'14 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW Z4 Coupe
ex '11 BMW M3 DCT
ex '11 BMW X3 30D
ex '07 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW X3 35D
ex '02 BMW M5
ex '99 BMW M Coupe

RichM50d

Post by RichM50d » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:21 pm

[quote="X5M50d"]
[quote="RichM50d"]
[/quote]

What did you do to get rid of the halogen indicator bulbs?
Any pictures of before and after?
Cheers
[/quote]

I ordered the Bimmian LED bulbs from the US.