Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 driving assistant plus - what's included?

x5uber

X5 driving assistant plus - what's included?

Post by x5uber » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi guys, I am thinking about buying an X5.

The features I really would like are active cruise control and lane keeping assistance. The idea is that on long motorway journeys I can let the car steer to keep in the middle of the lane and a safe distance from the car in front.

I've read that to get both of these features I will need to get the "driving assistant plus" option.  Can anyone confirm this is the case please? And for anyone who has tried this option, does it work well at keeping the car in the centre of the land on a motorway?

I have seen that the new X5 is available later this year so I am thinking now is a good time to get a good deal on a 12 month  diesel X5 which are getting so much bad press at the moment. I am hoping to pay around £45k.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X5 driving assistant plus - what's included?

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 pm

Not used the BMW system yet, but the one on my Škoda certainly stays in lane with no problem.  If however you take your hands off the wheel you get a warning after a few seconds and if you ignore it then the car brakes to a stop.  It also holds a set distance which increases with speed but a car ahead changing lanes suddenly can result in an emergency brake application and it does not pick up a stationary object ahead - such as debris or a stopped vehicle.

I’m looking to add the Assistance Plus option to our planned upcoming BMW purchase.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5M50d

Post by X5M50d » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:42 am

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/con ... nt-driving

Click onto the link above for further info. Otherwise You Tube has various clips on this.
I have it on my car and would certainly recommend this option.

mogsyman

Post by mogsyman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:52 pm

I also have this however can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've used the lane control...........totally useless. Why have a system that steers for you providing you have your hand on the steering wheel.............  :'(

The adaptive cruise or whatever it's called is however bloody brilliant and an option I really wanted. it can be fooled on occasion so you need to be aware but it's brilliant and makes driving on a busy route less tressful that's for sure.
2019 F90 M5
2019 Porsche Macan

Previous

2016 X3 20D M Sport
2016 X5 M50d
F10 M5
120D M Sport
335i DCT Vert
997 C2S
30D M Sport X5
2.0D M Sport X3
535D M Sport
4.8iS X5
3.0D M Sport X5
320D M Sport Cab
996 C2 Cab
Boxster S
Golf GTi (150 D)

AJ07BMW

Post by AJ07BMW » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:45 pm

My 2018 X5 has driving assistant plus with active cruise control and lane assistant. However, not sure if a UK spec car is different, but my Swiss lane keeping assistant is only possible to activate on motorways and only upto 60kph.

Its good in traffic and at slower speeds, but there is no way that I’d want to use lane keeping at ‘speed’. It tends to wander a little too much for my liking, and gets a bit vague when it cannot determine the lane markings. Scares the pants off me!

My honest opinion is that you would be better off putting the money towards a sound system upgrade. It’s one gadget too many. If you’re spending 80k on a car, then be sure to also test drive all the gadgets. I didn’t  and I kind of regret that.

Rassi

Post by Rassi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:44 pm

I find that the active cruise control reacts too early and too abruptly, regardless of the setting. Even with the shortest distance to the car ahead set, I find that it decelerates too much, and much more than what I would have done as a driver (obviously safely) and when you are not in control of the accelerator it is possibly felt more.

Not sure that it is really suitable for fast motorway driving, as it forces you to change to the fast lane so early to avoid that the radar picks up the car ahead.
‘17 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
ex '15 BMW X5 M50D
ex'14 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW Z4 Coupe
ex '14 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI
ex '11 BMW M3 DCT
ex '11 BMW X3 30D
ex '07 BMW M5
ex '08 BMW X3 35D
ex '02 BMW M5
ex '98 Mercedes C43 T AMG        
ex '99 BMW M Coupe
ex '93 Alfa Romeo 164 24V

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:47 am

I have DA+ and lane keeping assistance.

Like another poster on here I struggle to see the advantage of lane keeping assistance that requires you to have your hand on the wheel. Also it only operates on motorways (where it can "see" the lanes) and only at speeds up to 35 mph (on my car anyway). Latest info  on BMW website says up to 130 mph and on all road surfaces!
https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/con ... nt-driving

Anyway, I do find the active cruise control really useful and would spec it again on future purchases.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

x5uber

Post by x5uber » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:48 am

Interesting comments guys.

From what I reading here, it sounds like BMW have been updating the capability of the lane assistance and increasing the maximum speed at which it will operate.

Now I am wondering if the latest version has the same issues regarding a tenancy to wander slightly across lanes?