Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

shocks front

mark hamster 28

shocks front

Post by mark hamster 28 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:31 am

Hi all. Had my car in for its MOT and end of AUC warranty check yesterday. Noticed when driving my car on bad road surfaces and having window open that there is a slight squeak coming from front right some where. Also does it sometimes when you press the brake pedal. Went out for drive with a BMW Teq and he took it down a bumpy road and all you could hear was Squeak Squeak Squeak lol. It turns out that they struggled to find it when on the ramp but they suspect its front right shock absorber so have got one on order (£594..!!!)

My question is, is it ok to have just 1 fitted or should it have both sides done ?? Might not be the problem yet but I don't mind them fitting me new parts for free  ;)

Also had a result, was going to have a wheel alignment done as had new tyres fitted a few weeks ago, was £150 but because of fitting a new shock absorber they said it will have to be done anyway so saved me a few quid there.

Can not recommend Sytners at Nottingham enough since I have been taking my car there since I fell out with Stratstones Derby big time. This was my 3rd X I have bought from them over last 4 years and the front tyres were in poor condition and they would not change them and had a few more issues also with this car from them. So £420 for new tyres they refused to do has now cost them thousands as I will never touch this place again !!
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: shocks front

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Ideally you should change as a pair, but if the other side is OK then it is very unlikely that BMW AUC will spring for it.  Insurers pay only what they absolutely have to!  If the other one is fine then go with it.

Worth having a chat with them and see it they will replace one foc and contribute to the other perhaps?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mark hamster 28

Re: shocks front

Post by mark hamster 28 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 pm

thanks and good thinking there
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE