Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M3 comp to M50D?

gynads

M3 comp to M50D?

Post by gynads » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Hello,

I understand i may get a biased opinion posting on here..but, i purchased an approved used M3 competition from my local dealership in November last year. On the 21st of March the engine failed (spun the crank hub, known fault, rest of the engine is ok and not damaged). I had the car recovered to them, at which point they said they had no loan car for me! I went to see the sales department who lent me a 1 series.The whole time they have always said they require a 'special tool' (sounds like some sort of dolly to lift the engine out for inspection) . After weeks had passed, and on a Sunday evening after work, i thought I'd pop in to see if the car was OK i walked into the compound to find my pride and joy totally unsecured. I took a video to prove the garage was close for business and that my car was not!
It was only after i posted this video on their facebook page that they really seemed bothered. Anyway, after lots of toing and froing with the dealership, they agreed to lend me an M5.

It's very nearly 3 month's since they've had the car so I decided to research my options and speak to BMW finance. My initial decision was to reject the car and claim back my deposit and payments. I went to look at a C63S coupe and test drove the Range Rover sport and Velar (neither appealed to me, and very expensive for what you get). After some thinking, it seems like I could be cutting my nose off to spite my face and I have just had a bad experience with a terrible dealership, so started to look at alternatives and the X5 kept popping up, the more i think about it the more an X5M50D would tick lots of boxes for me/us, we have a 7 month old boy so the space would be definately be welcome. We have a qashqai for a family hack and I also have a road legal EP3 turbo track car, so we could sell the Nissan and share the BMW and i could get something fun to commute in? Clio RS etc.

I've found a nice example at a garage in Liverpool here

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2019 ... 153143e743

What are they like!

I was wondering if the 50D is really worth the premium over the 30/40D.

Is the 30/40D going to be all that much better on fuel

What are your personal must have options

Are there still any F15 pre reg etc available for a hefty discount and 0% I've had a look but can't see any apart from Cooper (i think)

How are they in the snow? I fancy taking it to the alps etc for some snowboarding trips. Are winter tyres a must (i think its a legality in europe?)

Sorry for the massive post!

Cheers

Ashway

Re: M3 comp to M50D?

Post by Ashway » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:19 pm

I came from a facelift F80 M3 to an F15 M50D. We’d had an X5 in the past and I’d always regretted letting it go. The torque on the current car is epic bags of performance and economy isn’t too bad given it’s shear size and aerodynamics. I’ve averaged 31 since I got it and have now done 20k miles. I bought mine as a brand new pre reg( it had 10 miles on the clock) it’s got the pan roof and 7 seats which I’m told helps resale/ trade in as well as a host of other options.

Ours has been faultless in the time we’ve had it and I don’t miss the M3 one bit. I’ve had a nosy at the new model and it too is a great car but cost to change is a little too strong at the moment

gynads

Post by gynads » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Thank you for your reply Ashway. If I'm being honest it's exactly what i wanted to hear. The more time goes on the less I miss the M3.

I have just been to the dealership to pick up a grill for the M5 loan car and got speaking to a saleman. Funny how things work out, but he has just taken in a lovely sapphire black, white leather M50d with a cracking spec ( carbon pack MP 21's, comfort seats, cold weather, and a few more things I'd be well happy with) .

He was really straight forward with me and just said push BMW finance and BMW uk for a good deal.
He did say try push for a big discount and 0% finance on the new one too. So just have to wait and see what happens.

Have you had any problems with the car since ownership?.

Ignore that, just read your post again and seen it's been faultless!

Ashway

Post by Ashway » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Ours is Ruby black with light leather interior , can’t recall the name. We’ve got HUD which I wouldn’t be without now I’ve had it on several cars. Soft close doors, cold weather pack, piano black trim TFT dashboard and a few other bits and bobs. It really is a great utility vehicle and still one of the best looking on the road in my opinion.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:53 am

I'm replying here, as I have a similar exchange... maybe.

I have gone from an F10 M5 (two years of fabulous driving) to an F85 X5M. Honestly, the X5 is one of the most surprising cars I've ever had ownership of. Forget that it has the M5 Engine, I'm talking about the comfort, capability, equipment and general enjoyment. Its a fantastic car. You will not be disappointed and the M3 will just be a distant memory.

From a practicality point of view, getting a car seat in and out is much easier (so better for your wife). The driving position is better, you are higher up and can see over the traffic ahead. The boot space is huge, which is great for prams as well as all the other gear that goes along with having a small one.

In terms of spec, generally those that have purchased an M50d aren't short of a pound. They will get toys and upgrades because, why not? So you are likely to find that most M50d have very good spec compared to a 40d for example. I have the Carbon Pack which looks great. The cold weather isn't something you think you'd need... but having it is a great feature and you will use it in winter for sure. The other extras that I think are important (and improve the pleasure factor and keep you interested in the car for longer) is a good sound system so HK or better. Comfort access is great, especially with kids and hands full. HUD I would always have in my future cars.

Hope you get somewhere with BMW and get this sorted - sounds like a nightmare and whilst an M5 is nice to drive around, you just want your own car with no issues looming.

Turks.

mogsyman

Post by mogsyman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 am

I'll throw my 2 pence worth in here.....................

I had an F10 M5 which I loved but found the power totally unusable unless the weather was warm and dry, two wheel drive and 560hp can only mean feathering the throttle!

I then went into a brand new 50D on a 66 plate pec'd by myself with almost everything you could want aside from 7 seats and it was a fantastic place to be that's for sure :driving: The cabin, finish, drive................everything was as good as I could expect........................

Aside from the engine. Sure it's a great engine but coming from an M5 it lacked top end grunt. The third turbo did a great job but it still lacked umph........The torque was great...............no fantastic actually and I really like it. I went on a couple of Euro-drives and it was a really good place to be with lots of space and creature comforts for my growing rug-rats.

However I have now moved back into an F90 M5..........................................'kin 'ell...............what a machine :thumbsup:

I have never driven a car with so much grip ever, never ever ever ever.

In damp conditions the other day I was turning left out of a junction and started my GPS 0-60 app. Bugger me, the car still did 0-60 in a touch over 4 seconds and I was turning 90 degrees left at he same time :-o

It has loads of room, more technology that you will ever need and brings a smile to my face every time I get into it :thumbsup:

I love the X5 but once you've been in an M................... 8)

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:19 pm

Good insight mogsyman - Perhaps the X5M just has that little extra that the 50d was lacking for you. 575hp and 4x4. My missus loves it and so do the kids with the Entertainment System in the back...

I am looking at an F90 M5 as a second car at the moment, but seriously having my head turned by the 850i or the M8. Been in the F90 M5 Comp and I agree it is quick and has so much grip its unreal. The F10 I never really had a problem putting the power down, even on damp/wet roads? I was really impressed given it was rwd.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

mogsyman

Post by mogsyman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:54 pm

The 8 series is too small in the back for me and the M8 simply too much money.

I didn’t look at an X5M because I remember when I had my 4.8iS I was lucky to get 12mpg and I suspect the X5M would be worse!

I’m getting 20mpg from the F90 M5 and 30 on a run. I know you don’t buy these cars for mpg but it was a thought.

Also the tech in my car is lightyears ahead of the F15.

gynads

Post by gynads » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks for the replies gents. I'm still no further on with the finance decision..I think we're close though.
The local dealership has lent me a brand new 740d MSport in a Nardo grey with white leather, lovely place to be and the tech is very impressive, this is until they can PDI a G05 M50D for me to use to see how I get on as the salesman thinks that with my payments and deposit back, the monthly payments will be about the same. I still don't know about that grill though!

But...they are taking a pretty much perfect (for me) spec F15 M50D very soon. I'm thinking I would be pleased with the car and I'd maybe get some money back and reduce my payment by a fair bit. I guess it's a case of seeing what deal BMW offer?

Below is a link to the spec to the used car coming in. Thoughts and comments on the car (and situation) greatly received

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/0s44221