Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice buying a used F15 X5

bubbabear

Advice buying a used F15 X5

Post by bubbabear » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Hello everyone

I am looking to buy a 2016/17 used F15. I used to have an E70 but it had a few common problems (transfer box failed , air suspension failed, propshaft snapped) . Does the F15 suffer from the same issues? I have found a xdrive40d msport 2018 with 50k miles, one year auc warranty from main dealer. Would it be wise to buy this or am i better buying a lower spec 30d with 25k miles?

Thanks for any feedback

sid10

Re: Advice buying a used F15 X5

Post by sid10 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi I bought a 2016 66 plate 40d M sport with 27k on 3 months ago from a main dealer , the weekend I bought it , they were doing a complimentary 2nd year BMW warranty , so look out for that . My car had a 5 year service package on also so hopefully at least a couple of years cheap motoring , as far as I am aware the F15 is holding up a lot better than the E70 , suspension and transfer box wise although I think some may have problems in the future if manufactures tyre recommendations are not adhered too , but most owners are generally using star marked tyres . Quite a lot of the Se versions came with none staggered set up on the wheels so that would eliminate the transfer boxes winding .
As for the age and mileage of the car , seems a lot for only 1 year old and unless you are doing very low mileage it could hurt its resale when selling , the 40d engine is amazing in the F15 , but if you find the 30d ok then there is no reason to go for a lower mileage car for similar money !
Have you tried the latest X5 , as I was going to buy the new one but found it too much like the Range Rover ? it is the only car the wife got car sickness in , trying the 50d next time round as the suspension is different to the 30d .
regards
sid10

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks for the feedback. I bought a 3 yr old xdrive30d from John Clark Aberdeen in 2015 with a 2 year auc warranty. The car really was not fit for auc purposes, severe corrosion under the chassis. Endless problems with air suspension , propshaft and transfer box from 40-60k miles.

I will buy if a garage offers the 2nd year auc warranty since there is no excess and covers most parts except consumables. I think a 30d would suffice but i would like a decent spec. Went into Berry Chiswick last week and the salesman tried his usual sales pitch, sorry sir that car you want to testdrive sold an hour ago but i have another one (which was well used), hence i walked away. Most dealers use WBAC for part ex valuations.

The F15 30d is insurance group 42, 40d is 44 and new X5 30d is group 50 !

sid10

Post by sid10 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 am

Hi there seems plenty on the market but most are over priced in main dealers by about 3k, I went for a well specd car as they seem to sell a bit easier 2nd time round but go very quickly. We have bought quite a few cars from our main dealer and even with plenty of visits I only got to know about the one I bought through asking what they had coming in through px at the latest plate change. I bought it as it turned up in the dealers as it was very clean and you could tell it had been looked after.
It is best contacting a branch and ask what is due in as most on the BMW website have gone as it isn't updated all the time.
I would advise on hud, pano roof, m sport and below average mileage, service plan if possible as mine had nearly 2k worth of work to service and get to the dealer standard. I also wanted the Performance 21" alloys which they swapped off a 50d for an extra charge.
Good luck!
I can keep a look out if you want although I am in Cumbria?

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am

Hi Sid

thank you for your feedback this is very useful information. I am happy to travel the country for the right spec car. Which dealer did u purchase the 40d from? I agree pan roof HUD and HK are extras worth having.

Martin

sid10

Post by sid10 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi Martin
Lloyds BMW Carlisle , they have been straight and fair. Also done business with Peter Vardy, Parks Group and Stratstones although the later you can't haggle with!
Steer clear of cars that are on the coast as that seems to be the reason that they are rusty.
I will drop you a pm with my details if you want to contact them!
I also bought an Active tourer last year through Berry BMW Heathrow, they were good to deal with even though they had made a mistake with the price they honoured it saved me nearly 6k.
Regards
Sid10

F15BHD

Post by F15BHD » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:36 am

I have a 2016 F15 40d MSport with MSport Plus pack for sale if you are you are interested. Under 13K miles in Black. Email me on lakenheathfc@gmail.com if interested. I'm near Newmarket in Suffolk

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi

So does the F15 have a known issue over time with the transfer case. On my E70 it was replaced at 40,000miles.

On the F15 search there is a lot of choice however most main dealers have cars that are above average mileage or low miles asking silly money.

Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Not seen a single report of transmission issues with the F15. kkx5 did state (I think) that BMW made changes with that model that makes it far less vulnerable to tyre issues than the E53 and E70/71 suffered with.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:06 pm

That's good news, thanks for the info.