Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How long for engine to warm up?

Graeme

How long for engine to warm up?

Post by Graeme » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:48 am

Good morning all,

I bought a 2018 model 4.0D in August with 9000 miles on and it drives beautifully. I've noticed though that over the past 2 - 3 weeks it seems to be taking a long time for the temperature gauge (engine oil?) to reach the mid point - about 10 miles of driving at 40 - 50 mph. I'm in NE England but I can't recall that it took this long when the weather was a bit warmer during the autumn. I had an E70 previously for 11 years but it didn't have a temperature gauge so is it a case of the more information you have the more you have to worry about???

Seriously though, does this sound like a thermostat issue or is it normal at this time of year? I should mention the car has a factory fitted tow bar and additional towing capacity and cooling, though I've not been towing with it since October.

Best wishes for 2020 to everyone,

Graeme

StuBeeDoo

Re: How long for engine to warm up?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:07 pm

FWIW, my X3 30d takes a good 10 miles to get right up to temperature, lately. This is in spite of recently fitting a brand new BMW-supplied engine thermostat. I believe some vehicles have a thermostat on the EGR cooler as well, but mine doesn't.

Oh, I'm in the NE as well. :)
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:36 pm

My F16 takes about 10 mins/miles or so to get the temp up to the mid pointon the gauge at this time of year.

I'm also in the North East :)

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:05 pm

Checked this morning, just under 4 miles for temp gauge to get to middle position and settle there, from an overnight stand and 2.5C when I got in this morning. Located in the peak District with a few hills which may help the warming process.

It's a 2018 40d f15