Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

About to buy an X5M (F85)

Waka

About to buy an X5M (F85)

Post by Waka » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:08 am

Having come throught the ranks of a 3.0D E53 and currently in an E70 40D I need to scratch the V8 itch :D

I've put down a deposit on 2017 X5M on the proviso that I haven't driven it yet!

It's pretty well specc'd:
B&o advanced audio system
Lane change warning system
Park assist
Reversing assist camera
Speed limit display
Surround-view
Tv function
Universal remote control
Rear seat entertainment package
etc.

and seems to have an individual paint colour, Azurite Black. It seems to be a sort of metiallic black with blue in strong light.
The only thing I'm not a fan of is the seats, Silverstone Full Merino Leather. Does anyone have lighter seats, do they show up the dirt?

Are the F85 owners here still happy? PVR I believe you have one?!

Anything I need to look out for on the test drive?

I did try to squeeze a second year of warranty out of them when negotiating but they wouldn't budge on that :-(

Thanks,
W.

max

Re: About to buy an X5M (F85)

Post by max » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:52 am

Awesome cars and that one looks like it’s got a great spec.
What miles has it done?

Look out for squeeling brakes (they all do that sir!), condition of tyres, pads, discs.
5 year service pack would be a bonus
Is it on 21s and has the bucket style M seats?

Not a big fan of the silverstone leather myself as it does get too marked over time imo

Does it have to be black?

I’ve got a 991.2S coming in and I’m struggling to move my 997.2S so I may need to put my Donnington Grey F85 up for sale if it’s of any interest?

Waka

Post by Waka » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks Max, it's done 28k. A bit higher than I would have liked for a 3 year old car but I'll be adding well below avergae per year.

Slightly more annoyingly, even though it was first registered in March 2017, its build date was June 2016 which makes it a MY 2016 by 1 month!. According to BMW themselves this means the idrive is id4++. Does anyone know the difference between that and id5? Are there any other differences between a 2016 and 2017 car? I know they didn't do an LCI on this model but something changed in 2017.

It has comfort access which I know I can turn off but the dealer claims the keys stop trasnponding after 'a while'. I know new mercs do this, is he right about a 2017 key?

No it doesn't have to be black just ABW...anything but white :rofl:

Where abouts are you in the country? Can you post a bit more info about yours?

max

Post by max » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi Waka

My car is a late 66 plate MY17 car - the main difference I understand is that it has the touch screen version of the nav and the scrolling icons and a few other minor updates. I'm assuming even MY16 cars have all the connected items such as Flikr, voice activation, conierge service, etc but check.
Check you haven't also got additonal road tax if the car you are looking is March 17 - I'm sure that was the date road tax changed but I maybe mistaken.

My car is high spec similar to the car you mentioned - B&O (sounds awesome), things like rear ventilation/heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, soft close doors and loads of other items, I can get the full list if you need, .....I think I worked it out that mine listed at nearly £117k - lots of 'high specced' advertised cars only list out at £105/110k.

Its unmarked Donnington Grey with full extended Black leather with all the carbon bits. Every wheel is unmarked 21” (never recut or refinished) - 6/7mm MPSS star tyres. Brakes as new - I’ve got the video from when it went in for its brake fluid change last month which will highlight how clean it is. Always garaged. 5 year service pack, BMW warranty. Only 1 private owner who owned and specced from new (so not an abused lease car) and all the arches were completely clean when I picked her up. No comfort access on mine as it’s the one thing I didn’t want, with all the cars that go walkies!

Send me your email if you are interested and want some pics.

If you get one, be prepared for a monster though, as it defies how quickly these things move - there is not much out there that they cannot keep up with, whilst still looking relatively stealthy :evil:

sid10

Post by sid10 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 pm

I have the BMW X5 F15 November 2016 66 plate with the touch screen satnav , voice controlled , on line services , I would recommend getting this as it is a big up date and makes the car feel much more up to date . Check the tax as mine is only £200 on a 40d due to the tax hike on 2017 cars .
Like you I had an E53 which was a great car , I can only imagine what the full fat version is like to drive , may be next time although the wife keeps dropping hints on replacing hers !
Max I maybe interested although the 997.2 maybe a better bet ?

max

Post by max » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Sid10, firstly I hope you’re feeling better. I picked up from your boxster post that you may not have been that well, I’ve just not had a chance to get on the forum (keep getting logged out!)

The X5M is a phenomenal machine and a big step up from the 40/50d models. It’s a shame with how things are going in the future (electric) that big monster power plants like these are not going to be available. I’ve had lots of naturally aspirated different model V8’s over the years and now they’ve added turbos, they really have moved the power boundaries into another level.

OP - sorry to go off topic
Quick link to my 997.2S, which is about to be replaced by a 991.2S (I’ve been let down on the 997 (even though it’s the cheapest one out there) so I am thinking to release the X5M and the readvertise the 997 when the weather is a bit better in a couple of months time) and have 2 911s for the time being :?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... obcid=soc4

Anyway sorry for the rambling OP - let us know how you get on with your X5M buying :thumbsup:

sid10

Post by sid10 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Hi Max your Porsche looks stunning ! try Eporsche or ashgood Porsche they maybe able to give you a good price or sell for you !
As for the X5M I dont think you can get a better SUV .

Waka

Post by Waka » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Thanks guys. When I get a chance in the next few days I'm going to test drive it.
If I end up buying it I'll flood the place with pictures! :driving:

max

Post by max » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 pm

sid10 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:17 pm Hi Max your Porsche looks stunning ! try Eporsche or ashgood Porsche they maybe able to give you a good price or sell for you !
As for the X5M I dont think you can get a better SUV .
Thanks Sid10. This weather is clearly not cab selling weather so I will relist it come march/April time
As for the best SUV, I think so. I did compare the 2 closest rivals as I see it, the Cayenne Turbo S and the RR SVR and whilst both competitors have their plus points, as ££s to power and ferocity, the X5M took the crown for me easily. It's not as shouty as the SVR (although they do sound fab out the box) and the Cayenne Turbo S was about to be replaced by the new model and in S spec (570bhp) are quite rare and £££s.

max

Post by max » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:37 pm

Waka wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:39 pm Thanks guys. When I get a chance in the next few days I'm going to test drive it.
If I end up buying it I'll flood the place with pictures! :driving:
Make sure you find some decent open space to open her up and gets the sport/sport plus settings right. If the colour combo doesn't work for you, drop me a line if you want to do a deal on a DG one :thumbsup:

max

Post by max » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:53 pm

So how did you get on Waka?
Have you joined the big monster club??

Waka

Post by Waka » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:39 pm

Well...not quite. I got my deposit back on the previous one for a few reasons but I'm going to look at this one tomorrow :-)
-bmw--x5-m-estate--xdrive-x5-m-5dr-auto-450789329-3.jpg
-bmw--x5-m-estate--xdrive-x5-m-5dr-auto-450789329-3.jpg (207.59 KiB) Viewed 5902 times

max

Post by max » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:13 am

I'm intrigued what was up with the black one? It seemed a good spec.
Hopefully better luck with the Silverstone (with Silverstone leather it looks like?) one you are looking at tomorrow

You sure you don't want a mint Donnington Grey with Black Leather example (owned by a forum member)? 8)

Waka

Post by Waka » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi Max,
it was mostly the salesman :-)

To give him the benefit of the doubt, he didn't know the answers to a few questions I had so made stuff up but then outright lied about the price (he said the £49k price was wrong and it should be £1k more. Amazingly someone on another forum sent me an email showing the price was £47k only the week before!).

I've bought the Silverstone ii one above. Slightly better spec. Only a quarter of the miles the black one had and 3 grand less...sold!

I'll put a new thread up with a few more pics and spec when I've stopped playing :driving:

max

Post by max » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:59 pm

Excellent, congratulations on the new car :driving: get those pictures up

Have you had a chance to try warp speed yet?? 8)

(and what's the other forum? Is there a more X5M specific one?)