Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Extending bmw warantee

touring

Extending bmw warantee

Post by touring » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:24 pm

How do people feel about extending the manufacturer’s warranty after the three years is up. They have offered a continuation or the warranty for the fourth year with breakdown cover at £834 for the year with a £250 excess. Would you take it or is there a better alternative, the car has just covered 7,000 miles in three years so less than £2,500 miles a year.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Extending bmw warantee

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 pm

It depends upon whether you can put money in the bank and leave it ‘just in case’ or take a chance and take a hit, or buy the warranty?

In my case, and having had a seriously unreliable E53, I opted to keep the OEM warranty going. It hasn’t been cheap, and it hasn’t been needed (yet) but as the car ages then issues are more likely even with just 50k on the clock and almost 10 years old.

I know the money in the bank would have been ‘appropriated’ for something else and now my income is 40% lower than it was in Global IT, a major failure would be unaffordable from my own pocket.

The only big fault (cost wise) was glowplugs and controller that cost £800 to fix and wasn’t covered by warranty anyway.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bubbabear

Re: Extending bmw warantee

Post by bubbabear » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:43 am

I called bmw yesterday and they quoted £834 pa with 250xs , or £88 per month on a rolling basis.

I am looking to purchase a 2017/18 F15 so hoping that main dealer can offer car with 2 year AUC warranty..