Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Almost 3 years old now

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Almost 3 years old now

Post by pvr » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:44 pm

The X5M is almost 3 now, so end of warranty. Not many miles (about 500) during the last year, which feels like a waste of the warranty year but can't be helped.

What a car though, performance is fantastic and the V8 sound is something else as well. Was great to drive back from Europe on the day of lockdown as there was nobody on the road, shaved 1.5 hours off the journey time ... 8)

Looking forward to more miles this coming year.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Almost 3 years old now

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:55 pm

:hi: back. You’re still alive then? Haven’t seen you on here in ages.

I know the feeling about miles too as the X6 hasn’t done much more and we’re way ahead on the leased 2-series to the point none of our other cars need using for a year and we’d still not exceed the annual limit.

Any plans to replace it.....sell the Porker and buy an X7 let’s say :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:35 pm

Flush your mouth out young man, selling the Porker ... :o

No replacement plans, the M has only done 8k miles ...

IanP

Post by IanP » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:33 am

Are you going to continue with the warranty?
My X6M needed a couple of injectors changing, which as the technicians were incompetent eventually required the engine out and cylinder head off. I think the total bill was nearly 5k, paid for by the warranty.
I wouldn't run one of these cars without it, or the multi turbo diesels either.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:14 am

Any idea on the cost of the warranty? The link in the invitation letter has an error on it so doesn’t work.

Already pay 1k for the Porsche per year so wanted to avoid another one if I could help it.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:43 am

My X6 warranty is about £1k so I would expect the one for yours to be similar in cost. Apart from changes in the IPT rate the price hasn’t changed since I took it out though. It’s a lot for ‘just in case’ but when these cars go wrong (particularly in the driveline areas) the bills can be astronomical.

IanP

Post by IanP » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:58 am

Think I renewed in January at about £800.
Every year I have had the car the warranty has paid out more than it cost....😁

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:16 pm

Interesting how the prices vary! My F15 4.0d was 3 years on a week ago. 18000 miles. BMW wanted £1400 for a one year warranty extension via their on-line system. I got a 2 year extension through the dealer's own plan, covers everything the same including breakdown insurance +caravan if being towed. Only drawback is it has to be serviced by a BMW dealership so I took out a 2 year additional service plan which includes 2 services, MOTs, brake fluid change, air con recharge and map updates - price fixed.
Graeme

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:35 pm

I think the warranty would be pretty much essential on a near new x5m as you won't fix anything for less than a grand at the dealer :rofl:

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:41 am

Gramme- that's interesting and something I wasn't aware of, £1400 seems an eye watering sum for a low mileage 40d, especially as my 40d will be three in September and have a similar or slightly higher mileage. Does warranty work and servicing have to be done at that dealer?

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:42 pm

I don't know the conditions attached to the BMW warranty.

The warranty I have is from the dealer where I bought the car - Listers BMW - 200 miles from where I live. it's for 2 years following on from the original 3 year warranty. Without digging into all the paperwork again, I have to get it serviced by a BMW dealership according to the service schedule and, I believe, if there is a problem the garage identifying it has to get permission to go ahead with repairs. Touch wood I've not needed anything. Whilst it's under warranty if something does crop up I'd prefer if I can to take it to a BMW dealership for them to sort it out.
Graeme

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks for the info.
Nearer the time I'll make some enquiries from my supplying dealer Lloyd's BMW (~70miles away) to see if they can offer something similar. They have been very good with services and a couple of minor niggles I had with the car early on.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:05 pm

You should also get an offer from BMW GB - assuming they still run the warranty/insurance policies and haven’t given that up too.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri May 14, 2021 11:48 am

Decided not to renew the warranty. The car has just clocked 10k on it in the 3 years and I have done next to no mileage in the last year.

Also, always garaged and not used for any short runs.

On the pre-warranty expiry service, the comment was that the car looked as new underneath (ok, I do wash the underneath of the car as well 8) )

Expected miles this year again less than a 1000 as it was last year.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 14, 2021 1:38 pm

That reminds me, I need to get the 2-series booked in for its end of warranty check.

Been thinking of going electric but they are still too expensive and too short on range.