Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

To buy or not to buy?

Eaglesrest

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Post by Eaglesrest » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:31 am

Good luck with the Landrover dealers and negotiating anything (including a test drive) on the RRS. If you're happy to spend an extra £10k like for like, + no discount + a long 6-12 months waiting list, the RRS is the one to go for. It's a beautiful looking motor. A mate bought 2 * Autobiographies, 1 to sell and 1 for the missus and she loves it.

Arrogant dealers, high price, lack of discount, poor onboard and safety tech, and first hand experience of Landrover reliability are the reasons I went for the X5 instead.

I've seen a few F15's now, but remember that the RRS has been out for 6 months longer than the X5, plus there has been a large waiting list for the X5 in other markets, US and AUSY, coupled with some parts delays, causing allocation shortage.

I got 8% discount and above book on my trade-in at my local dealer, in November! I was offered similar by a welsh dealer. I only called two dealers. Negotiating with car dealers is an art form, based on psychology, experience and documented research (wave a printed deal price in their faces early).
Last edited by Eaglesrest on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:35 am

I can echo this. RR a lovely looking car. No idea on the reliability but the wait was too long for me at the time. RR dealers are having NO PROBLEM selling these so don't expect many favours. I had to be quite forceful to get them to give me a test drive! They were not interested in my 3.5 year old e70 PX with very low mileage and in excellent condition. In the end I tried 5 dealers and they'd all sold their allocations for months ahead.

On the X5, my local dealer, left to their own devices was rubbish at all stages of the process. offered a poor trade in (thousands less than achieved), offered a poor discount, offered a poor finance rate and gave inaccurate information on availability dates. When presented with the trade in i'd been offered elsewhere, they matched  :-[. When shown the discount acieved elsewhere, they matched  :-[, when shown the finance achieved elsewhere they matched  :-[. They then tried to pressure me into leaving a deposit there and then and when I declined saying I wanted a couple of days to think about it and fine tune the salesman said he'd check in with me in 3 days time. He never called! :))

I ordered elsewhere (much further afield but they were willing to deliver to my door) and months later, after new car delivered, I get an email from local dealer saying they had a (wrong colour, wrong spec) model coming in and was i interested????  Errr, no thanks.....

Don't know where OP is based, but try Grassicks in Perth (salesman Gavin Manzie) once you've done some homework and know what you want. If you tell him Kenniff from London recommended him he'll know who.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

worsy

Post by worsy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:48 am

Echo the above. My dealer is the South West and I'm in the Midlands. Saw an F15 MSport the other day and it was stunning in the flesh.

Benstan

Post by Benstan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Carl Bourner  at Snows in Portsmouth offered me a great deal on my E70 18m ago.  He'll def be the first person I would call if I was going for another X.  May be worth a buzz
Current: 2012 X5 MSport 3.0d - carbon black, 3rd row, panoramic, media, TV, top-view camera, power boot.
Former: 2006 520d SE (E60) - auto, black leather

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:57 pm

I know deep down I still want a F15 it was just a rant and know there are dealers out there as you've guys as just mentioned who are willing to go abit further than the dealers local to me.
Agree with Eaglesrest that it's a game an art form in which to negotiate with dealers who are used to people not pushing them harder for discounts.

Heh it's great to know that I'm in the right forum community,I think that the dealers are less encouraged to talk about discounts in my case as I'm wanting to take delivery in September instead of putting my signature on paper right now.

Lee

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Agreed. No one is likely to be much interested in " I might order one in a few months" lol
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

Eaglesrest

Post by Eaglesrest » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:49 am

[quote="Mpower"]
I know deep down I still want a F15 it was just a rant and know there are dealers out there as you've guys as just mentioned who are willing to go abit further than the dealers local to me.
Agree with Eaglesrest that it's a game an art form in which to negotiate with dealers who are used to people not pushing them harder for discounts.

Heh it's great to know that I'm in the right forum community,I think that the dealers are less encouraged to talk about discounts in my case as I'm wanting to take delivery in September instead of putting my signature on paper right now.

Lee
[/quote]
For a Sept delivery you would be looking to order mid-late June I guess. That gives you 3 months to test the opposition out and have a 'play' with your options.

If I was in your position I'd be test driving the Cayenne and RRS, and if you like the Sport more than the X5 find the dealer with the shortest wait, put a deposit down and wait. Depending on the wait time they might no be prepared to discuss your part-ex, but when the time comes, that will be where you get the discount, so bargain hard on your trade in price. LR dealers might be prepared to discount dealer fit options, but as it stands no discounts on the car itself.

If you decide on the F15 then when the time comes, if you're still struggling to get a local (where is that?) dealer quote, and are 100% committed to order, I can put you in touch with my dealer who will most likely price match DTD at between 8-10%.

The RRS are currently going above book price and while that will not last indefinitely it bodes well for the residuals. On the other hand it might become a victim of its own success with the market flooded with used RRS, with a large portion of them being money pits. We shall see.