Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do I get x5 in neutral for recovery?

chatuge

How do I get x5 in neutral for recovery?

Post by chatuge » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:43 am

My 50d has broken down in my driveway. It says drivetrain malfunction. It starts and then splutters after 10 or so seconds and then dies so can't believe it's the drivetrain. My question is how will the recovery truck pull it off driveway if the engine keeps stalling? Can then get it in neutral?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How do I get x5 in neutral for recovery?

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Is there nothing in the handbook about emergency Neutral?

On the last E70s with the 8sp box you had to go underneath and release it from there.

This may help with yours....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=777770
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

allforus

Post by allforus » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi had that fault and it was the Egr valve not related to the drive train at all but same fault displayed
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

chatuge

Post by chatuge » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:24 pm

[quote="allforus"]
Hi had that fault and it was the Egr valve not related to the drive train at all but same fault displayed
[/quote]

Just had rac out. He said exactly the same. It had two faults. He cleared them down. Then it said it had a low battery! (Weird). So tested alternator and all fine. Then tested battery after a charge and all ok! He was confused! Any ideas?

allforus

Post by allforus » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Nope I know mine notified the dealer that it had a flat battery and they rang me but still started ok and fuel pressure sensor was changed a couple of weeks ago it caused rough running and cut out at idle
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

chatuge

Post by chatuge » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:16 pm

[quote="allforus"]
Nope I know mine notified the dealer that it had a flat battery and they rang me but still started ok and fuel pressure sensor was changed a couple of weeks ago it caused rough running and cut out at idle
[/quote]

This only started once it was attached to their external battery though. So am pretty sure it must be battery or alternator related.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:17 pm

From my experience with the X6, mine draws 60A+ doing nothing and without the engine running.  If you are doing short journeys then the battery does not recover. 

I have to charge mine once a month in this weather as the heated seats, lights, rear window etc etc add a lot of power draw to the figure above.  The alternator doesn't get enough time to put the charge back in.

I bought a CTEK MXS10 Conditioner/Charger to deal with it. 

chatuge

Post by chatuge » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:18 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
From my experience with the X6, mine draws 60A+ doing nothing and without the engine running.  If you are doing short journeys then the battery does not recover. 

I have to charge mine once a month in this weather as the heated seats, lights, rear window etc etc add a lot of power draw to the figure above.  The alternator doesn't get enough time to put the charge back in.

I bought a CTEK MXS10 Conditioner/Charger to deal with it.
[/quote]

Thing is that over the last week it's done around 30-40 miles a day; one day it did 100 miles on motorway! I just can't see how it's not getting a charge!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:23 am

Certainly sounds like it is being driven enough to keep the battery up.

Ducklakeview

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:01 am

How old is the car? If it's one of the earlier ones then the battery could well be on the way out. Do you have a multimeter?

I'd pop the ignition on and the headlights, then check what sort of voltage the system is showing, if it's less than about 12.5v, or begins above that and drops below over a few mins, then the battery is probably past it's best. When started, and at a fast idle (1,750 rpm) even with lights, blower, heated seats etc on, then it should not drop below about 14.4v if the alternator is fine.

If you leave it for a couple of days, is it "lazy" sounding when you come to start it, ie takes a few more turns of the engine?

Let us know.

Mike
2012 X5 40d - Loving it..
Z4 3.0 - With LOTS of mods  ::)
#TheZedShed

chatuge

Post by chatuge » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 am

[quote="Ducklakeview"]
How old is the car? If it's one of the earlier ones then the battery could well be on the way out. Do you have a multimeter?

I'd pop the ignition on and the headlights, then check what sort of voltage the system is showing, if it's less than about 12.5v, or begins above that and drops below over a few mins, then the battery is probably past it's best. When started, and at a fast idle (1,750 rpm) even with lights, blower, heated seats etc on, then it should not drop below about 14.4v if the alternator is fine.

If you leave it for a couple of days, is it "lazy" sounding when you come to start it, ie takes a few more turns of the engine?

Let us know.

Mike
[/quote]

Mike u were spot on! Don't know how an Ahmed battery can die in three years but it did!

Ducklakeview

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 am

[quote="chatuge"]
[quote="Ducklakeview"]

Let us know.

Mike
[/quote]

Mike u were spot on! Don't know how an Ahmed battery can die in three years but it did!
[/quote]

Glad I could help!

Mike
2012 X5 40d - Loving it..
Z4 3.0 - With LOTS of mods  ::)
#TheZedShed

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Unfortunately modern batteries have reliability issues, especially if allowed to go flat at any point.  Proper 'wet' batteries were much more tolerant than the current crop of gel designs.  Bosch are particularly poor despite having warranties of up to 6 years.