Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil Residue Around Turbo Pipes? **Ignore - posted in wrong section - Thanks**

knackeredoldman

Oil Residue Around Turbo Pipes? **Ignore - posted in wrong section - Thanks**

Post by knackeredoldman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:07 am

Hi,

I have just had an RAC check on an E70 X5 sd and there is evidence of oil residue around turbo pipes.

It is an 08 plate with 56K on the clock.

According to the report..

"The underside of this vehicle is fitted with protective guards, which has restricted the inspection of the lower parts of the engine and transmission, and further defects may exist that it was not possible to visually identify.

Oil residue, as documented in this report, may indicate a potential major problem. Further investigation is strongly recommended."

Has anyone seen anything similar or could you shed any light on potential causes? I'd like to go ahead with the purchase but don't want to take on undue risk... any tips?

It is a private sale and the vendor is local to me and seems like a good guy so I don't think he is trying to hide anything.

I am planning on taking out the insured warranty when I buy it.

Thanks.
Last edited by knackeredoldman on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Oil Residue Around Turbo Pipes?

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:14 am

Certainly worth looking at just in case.  It could be expensive if a turbo seal is heading for the scrap yard!

If the oil is spreading down the inlet side and is in the intercooler than that is more concerning.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

knackeredoldman

Re: Oil Residue Around Turbo Pipes? **Ignore - posted in wrong section - Thanks**

Post by knackeredoldman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:26 am

Okay - thanks. I think I'll just have a word with the vendor and talk about how we can get it checked over. I might lose out but better that than end up with a wrong 'un.

A