Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric folding towbar issues.

Nine468

Electric folding towbar issues.

Post by Nine468 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi Folks.
Just wondering if anybody has had any issues with there electric folding towbar.
I have one fitted to my car ,, 2016 plate 40d. And unfortunatly its stopped working, Luckily its locked in the out position, so i can still use it, but its a pain, as it looks ugly...
If i press the retract button, i can hear some slight whirring noises, but nothing happens.??
Ive been in touch with my local dealers, where i bought the car,as its still got the balance of warranty on the car, to be told that as the towbar is an accessory its not covered....TYPICAL....

Anybody shed any light on this .??

Ta Dave W.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Electric folding towbar issues.

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:49 pm

I thought accessories if factory or dealer fitted have warranty "independently" of the car?

Renewed parts have their own warranty, two years iirc. I had cam cover gaskets replaced twice under warranty, including the labour charges. Surely any part of the car is covered by one warranty if its an AUC or on extended new car warranty

Dealer trying to dodge the issue?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:02 pm

I would also expect that if factory fitted it is not an accessory but a factory option and therefore covered under warranty. Use a VIN decoder to see if it was fitted at build - it’ll show on the as built spec. If fitted after delivery then it would probably just have a two-year warranty from the date fitted.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:09 pm

Don't think they are fixable it will be a new one is needed but they are very expensive about 2 k I think ! If you get nowhere you can get a conventional detachable towbar for much much less . :D

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:24 pm

If I try to retract the electric towbar on my car after a long tow it sometimes just clicks and does not retract. If I wait an hour or so then try it it retracts as it should.
Not sure if yours will not retract at all or if it just needs a bit of a rest before it starts working :)

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:18 am

Thanks so far chaps.
I was told by the dealers that the towbar etc was fitted by them after delivery,, and as such has a 2 year warranty, which is now ended,,,,,

BUT looking on the vin decoder it states it was factory fit, or at least it was specced with it from new, buy the first owner.

Codes S233A increased towing capacity, and S3ACA Trailer coupling, are on the build / vin sheet...

Its going in on Tuesday for a diagnostic, so we,ll see what happens then.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:06 am

If it’s in the build sheet then it was built with it. Dealer has no excuse. It’s probably quite a job for them to replace - used to mean seats out, carpets up and loads of hours to put one in - so they’ll want to wriggle out of it. Having it done at build was about £600 but dealer fit was as above, well north of £2k and that was years ago!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:10 pm

Increased towing capacity I think wasn't just the towbar either the diff and driveshafts were uprated to cope possible rad fans too with a higher wattage motor ,certainly on the e70 anyway to give it 3.5 ton towing instead of 2.7 ton ,something that couldn't be changed later with dealer fit towbar option . If its on the build sheet as said it surely left the factory with it :D
Really it sounds like a mechanical issue in the towbar itself which will need a new unit , wiring etc should not need changed so the actual job should not be that big but the cost of the actual unit will be high. Like all special order options they are great till they go wrong ! :(

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Well it seems a bit of knowledge, and some persistence, pays off, as the BMW dealership has agreed to replace the towbar under warranty, as i calmly reminded them that its on the build sheet. :thumbsup:
And not as they told me fitted at the dealership shortly after delivery..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only slight snag now is,, there,s no stock of towbars in the UK,,, or Germany.
So i have to wait for them to get one in...

The technician, told me there was some strange mechanical noises when he managed to get the towball to retract. And recommended replacement...

Oh and i was told that if it hadnt been a warranty claim, it would cost me, aprox £1600 to replace... :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Nine468 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Funny that ..... :x

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:23 pm

So the dealer was trying to shirk responsibility :thumbsdown:

Given they get paid by BMW GB why try a dodge......unless instructed to :fuelfire:

Good thing is it'll be sorted for free.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Well that is a result and hopefully one will become available soon :D Id think there isn't a whole lot wrong maybe its siezed up a bit though lack of use .

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi Folks.
Just a quick update on the towbar issues..

I had it replaced today under warranty... the bill came to....ZERO.... Other than a MOT fee as the MOT was due soon......

Im one happy chap....... :D :D :D :D :driving: :driving:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:48 pm

:thumbsup:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:01 am

Double :thumbsup:

Always brings a warm glow to get what you rightly deserved under the circumstances.