Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Dan1502

Tyres

Post by Dan1502 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:14 pm

I'm hopefully about to receive four new wheels under warranty and as there's not a lot of life left in the rear tyres I'm thinking of changing all four and having the alignment done.

Mine is a 35d with 19" 245 front, 275 rear with Pirelli P Zeros runflats currently fitted.

Looking at the efficiency, wet grip and noise ratings I'm thinking of going for either Michelin Primacy S1 runflats or Pirelli P Zero LS runflats.

Any thoughts? It's tough as review results aren't clear and there are generally more than one slight variation of model number for each premium tyre.

Thanks.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tyres

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 pm

Check whether those models have ‘*’ marked options. Not using ‘approved’ tyres risks both your transmission and if you have it, a BMW Warranty.

Personally I have always found Michelin’s have a longer service life than Pirelli, but Pirelli’s have better grip. It depends upon what you are looking at as your priority. I don’t worry about the tyre economy data as like mpg I don’t trust it and how was is measured? I suspect it’s all theoretical on a perfect surface and warmer than are the average temperatures for the UK. We know our roads are rubbish!

Finally will it really make enough of a difference to notice in areas other than braking distance. And remember, to halve the noise you hear you need at least 6dB less from the noise source, you won’t really hear one or two dB.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Dan1502

Post by Dan1502 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Yes, they are star marked I'm looking at. I can't remember the last time I didn't buy Michelin but on the E53 that was partly because that's what it came with and with other cars I've bought Super Sports etc which were great. This has Pirellis on and they do seem good so it got me thinking. I've no way of telling but if it's on its first set of tyres they've lasted well.

Dan1502

Post by Dan1502 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Reviews and choices drive me mad.

It seems there are original P Zero (runflats) and new P Zero (runflats) with the newer ones having a PZ4 designation.

Searching for reviews about the newer ones, there are reports of tramlining but how reliable those reviews are I don't know.

So I was thinking maybe just go for the Michelin Primacy 3 ZP S1 (runflats). Then there's talk of them being harsh and noisy.

It was much easier with sports cars, I just went for Michelin Pilot Superports (or 4s) now...

Dan1502

Post by Dan1502 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:56 am

After a successful wheel warranty claim I have four new wheels and decided to go for Pirelli P Zero tyres which are being supplied by Camskill and fitted by Ninemeister on Tuesday as they're doing the wheel alignment at the same time.

I found it hard deciphering the slightly different tyres available as you'd find what were apparently the same tyres listed but with different ratings. I called Camskill in the end and was told that they source from many warehouses and suppliers and the tyres listed with the improved wet grip, efficiency and noise ratings are the newest version. Others will be listed as suppliers continue to sell the old version until stock has been depleted. I'm glad I checked as if I'd bought from other suppliers I was considering I'm pretty sure I'd have ended up with the old ones (for example, Ninemeister by them in rather than stock them and their system showed only the old version but there was nothing to tell them they're the old version). Incidentally, Pirelli also list an LS version which is "Luxury Saloon".

Waka

Post by Waka » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm having a similar sort of dilemma with my E70 with 20" staggered wheels.

The current tyres are Dunlop and their longevity has been terrible but that's partly down to the slightly aggressive setup the X5 came with so I'm looking at Bridgestone...and a geometry reset.

It was so much easier with my E53 - no * requirements, just stick Toyo Proxes on and they lasted forever! :headbang: