Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW x3 or BMW active tourer petrol

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
needy1

BMW x3 or BMW active tourer petrol

Post by needy1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 pm

hi all, signed up for some first hand advice , considering buying an x3 budget it about 12k, read there's been issues with the 2 litre diesel engine , timing chain snapping (ouch), with all the so called issues with diesel and new diesel car sales dropping I was also considering a BMW active tourer a petrol version, anyones opinions would be gratefully received.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BMW x3 or BMW active tourer petrol

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:24 am

I know you have said petrol, but if it helps we bought a diesel 220xD Gran Tourer MSport and are very pleased with it. I would imagine the petrol version won’t be hugely different.

As we are leasing we couldn’t justify the extra running costs of the X3 as we still have the X6 and wanted a commuter. I’m too tall for the X2!

We’ve had it almost 8 months and it’s a very good car. The electric hybrid version doesn’t have the usable range for a 60-mile daily commute and to be honest unless you are doing short journeys all the time, you just end up lugging a heavy, dead battery around. This is why UK Gov have changed the rules on tax etc.

Apart from being a little ‘stretched’ the Gran Tourer handles very well for a rabbit wagon. Our is fully loaded so has Active Dampers, 8-sp sport gearbox and xDrive and still turns in 48-52mpg.

It’s surprisingly quiet and a very smooth drive. The Toyota 8sp gearbox is very good. Comfort is good and plenty of room within for tall adults and a child in a Group 2 seat with room to spare.

The series were all LCI’d last April and though the updated version was mainly cosmetic it did add a few tweaks to the iDrive and lighting. Our has active ‘Icon’ LED lights that are the best that I have ever driven with.

It’s quite small inside but we can get a family of three and enough luggage for a holiday and Xmas pressies etc on board with no problems. The large roof box I have also helps.

So far I am very pleased with it and the Škoda Superb Estate it replaced - which was in the same price bracket - was nowhere near as economical (same size engine/bhp/AWD) as the Gran Tourer.

Certainly worth a test drive :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

needy1

Re: BMW x3 or BMW active tourer petrol

Post by needy1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:58 pm

thanks for the reply. we mainly do short journeys around town that's why petrol probably the best option, we currently have a 2 ltr diesel Ford s max and with all the government hatred for diesels that's why I was thinking of the active tourer over the x3