Tyres (17")

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
StuBeeDoo

Tyres (17")

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:17 pm

I realise that the subject of tyres has been done to death. However, I will soon be needing to replace the non-runflat 225/60x17 * Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres that my F25 came with. My only quibble with the Pirellis is their performance (or rather, lack of...) in the wet - even when they still had 5mm minimum tread-depth.

Until I bought the F25, my tyre brand of choice had always been Goodyear. They don't do a suitable star-marked tyre. Although, the consensus seems to be that star-marking is a little less of a necessity on an out-of-warranty car with a "square" tyre set-up. So, I could be tempted with Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV.

But I keep looking at Michelin Primacy. And that puts me in a quandry. 3 options....... Y-rated & star-marked Primacy 3, V-rated non-BMW-spec Primacy 3 (likely old stock), or the same in the newer Primacy 4.

Does anyone have any experience of either the Michelins or Goodyears? Or any other tyre recommendations for older/higher-mileage F25s? My only "must-haves" are good wet-grip and low noise - certainly no noisier than the P7s. Runflats are not necessary because I carry a spare + tools & jack.

TIA
Stuart
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof.   8)
StuBeeDoo

Re: Tyres (17")

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Right! Next shot in the dark............

Does anyone have experience of Dunlop SP Sportmaxx TT runflats on the F25? Any idea how they compare to the Pirelli runflats that seem to be the more common (and cheaper) of the two 17" runflat options?

I'm tempted to try a set, but the fuel-efficiency and wet-grip ratings are making me hesitate. I know the ratings aren't the be-all-and-end-all so I'd appreciate some real-world observations before I drop £600+ on tyres and regret it. I've checked tyrereviews.co.uk but I'm not sure I trust some of the comments there either.

TIA
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof.   8)

Return to “General X3 Forum (F25)”