Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres (17")

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
StuBeeDoo

Tyres (17")

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:17 pm

I realise that the subject of tyres has been done to death. However, I will soon be needing to replace the non-runflat 225/60x17 * Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres that my F25 came with. My only quibble with the Pirellis is their performance (or rather, lack of...) in the wet - even when they still had 5mm minimum tread-depth.

Until I bought the F25, my tyre brand of choice had always been Goodyear. They don't do a suitable star-marked tyre. Although, the consensus seems to be that star-marking is a little less of a necessity on an out-of-warranty car with a "square" tyre set-up. So, I could be tempted with Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV.

But I keep looking at Michelin Primacy. And that puts me in a quandry. 3 options....... Y-rated & star-marked Primacy 3, V-rated non-BMW-spec Primacy 3 (likely old stock), or the same in the newer Primacy 4.

Does anyone have any experience of either the Michelins or Goodyears? Or any other tyre recommendations for older/higher-mileage F25s? My only "must-haves" are good wet-grip and low noise - certainly no noisier than the P7s. Runflats are not necessary because I carry a spare + tools & jack.

TIA
Stuart
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Re: Tyres (17")

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Right! Next shot in the dark............

Does anyone have experience of Dunlop SP Sportmaxx TT runflats on the F25? Any idea how they compare to the Pirelli runflats that seem to be the more common (and cheaper) of the two 17" runflat options?

I'm tempted to try a set, but the fuel-efficiency and wet-grip ratings are making me hesitate. I know the ratings aren't the be-all-and-end-all so I'd appreciate some real-world observations before I drop £600+ on tyres and regret it. I've checked tyrereviews.co.uk but I'm not sure I trust some of the comments there either.

TIA
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 am

For the sake of continuity..............

I finally decided to ditch the Pirellis when they still had a minimum of 3.5mm tread. As above, I've never been happy with them in the wet. :(

After much agonising I decided to go for Avon ZX7s. On paper they have better ratings than all except the Michelin Primacy. In the past when I've used Michelins, I've thought them over-rated - and I didn't want to buy a set and then end-up kicking myself 500 times*.

When I have some thoughts to share about the Avons, I'll post back here.
StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:17 pm................ I carry a spare + tools & jack.
I've now thought better of fitting an odd tyre. I bought a Stop & Go tyre plugger kit and an inflator.

* once for every pound wasted.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Avon ZX7 225/60R17 99V first impressions...........

The first thing I checked, when I got home, was the date code. All 4 are 3019, so they were only made 4 weeks ago. :) I've only done about 30 miles on them, but they are a lot quieter than the P7s. They look a bit "balloony" on the 7.5" rims, and I have a feeling that's because the actual tread may be just a tad wider than the P7s. The steering doesn't seem very much different to how it was with the Pirellis, but I think I detected a slight "floatiness" from the rear when cornering - that could be because they aren't scrubbed-in yet, or because the sidewalls aren't as stiff as Pirelli's. If it is the sidewalls, it's not so bad that I can't live with it. I had a lot worse when I made the mistake of putting Uniroyal Rallye 550s on my E30 - they were dreadful "floaters", to the point where I binned them after about 2500 miles.

I will report back after 1000 miles.

SEANRGEE

Post by SEANRGEE » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Any update?

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:32 am

SEANRGEE wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:01 pmAny update?
Not really, I've not done 600 miles on them yet. Still haven't driven far enough on them in the wet to comment on wet grip. Other than that, my thoughts are the same as above. Quite happy with them so far. :) I think the "floatiness" I mentioned was just because they weren't scrubbed-in.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:07 pm

While I was swapping to my winter wheels today, I remembered this thread. I've now done 2300 miles on the Avons.

I haven't noticed any further instances of the "floatiness" I mentioned, so it was either a scrubbing issue or I've got used to it. In the wet I've had no loss of traction, in fact I'm a lot more confident. They are still quieter than the Pirellis. It's early days as far as wear is concerned but as of now it's negligible. I'd certainly buy them again, and if I'm pushed I'd recommend them in 225/60x17 on the F25, but only if they're fitted as a full set.

Please don't take this as a recommendation for any other size, certainly not for a staggered set-up, or on any other car.

CCMAC

Post by CCMAC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:17 pm

I too have P7s on my X3 and I am not too impressed. I have a 3rd party warranty on the car so I wouldn't want invalidate that because of tyres (if that's possible). What are the alternatives out there? I'm not particularly interested in runflats. I read somewhere that people have used P zero tyres on these, is that true? I had them on a 350Z and really liked them. Handling and wet grip are top of my list

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:05 pm

Over a year since my last post here. In time for this winter I have replaced the Pirelli winter tyres I had with Michelin CrossClimate+. I've had them on the car since early October and I'm that impressed with them that when I finally wear-out the Avons I may well just keep CrossClimates on all year round.

Yet again, I've gone outside the box and fitted non * marked tyres, but as I've posted previously I'm not overly bothered because it's a square set-up, and I always replace tyres on the X3 in sets.

Over my years on the road, I've driven on many different tyres. Michelin's CrossClimate technology has taken tyres to a whole new level. It would be great if BMW took it on board and approved it with a star.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:39 pm

I think it’s more a case of Michelin submitting them for homologation, and there being enough demand across the relevant markets. Because BMW have stopped fitting certain 19” sizes I can’t get winter tyres for the X6 other than non-approved. I’ve got Michelin Pilot Primacy 3 tyres on the F46 and they’re pretty good. Our others are shod with Conti ContactSport 5 tyres, with the X6 ones being RFT and ‘*’ (warranty still in force).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Tyres (17")

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:03 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 amAfter much agonising I decided to go for Avon ZX7s.
2 year update
The Avons are still holding the road well in all spring/summer/early autumn conditions. I've now done 20k miles on non-approved tyres with no transmission issues, but remember this is a square set-up. However, I noticed the last time I washed the car that there are some cracks apperaring in the sidewalls of the Avons. :(

The car is in for MOT on Thursday, so let's see if I get an advisory. In any case, I'll be servicing the car on Friday and planned to put the Michelin CrossClimates on at the same time for winter. Depending on the outcome of the MOT, I may leave the CrossClimates on next spring as those wheels have just been refurbed and the ones the Avons are on are starting to get tatty.

StuBeeDoo

Tyres (17")

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:34 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:03 amThe car is in for MOT on Thursday, so let's see if I get an advisory.
The tester either didn't notice the cracks, or didn't think them worth mentioning.

I'm starting to think I might run the Avons down to 3mm (currently 5.5) and then just keep them for emergencies. The Style 304 wheels they are on are a pain to keep clean and with that in mind I'm not sure I can be bothered to get them refurbed.

StuBeeDoo

Tyres (17")

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:46 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:34 amI'm starting to think I might run the Avons down to 3mm (currently 5.5) and then just keep them for emergencies.
I've taken the car for an alignment this afternoon, due to replacing the steering tie-rods and ends. The bloke at the tyre place pointed-out that the front tyres are worn on the inner and outer edges (no s**t, Sherlock! Why do you think I replaced the tie-rods and ends?).
Personally, I don't think they are bad enough to fail an MOT - but I will, now, consign them to emergency only use. ..........And, in any case, the wheels they are currently on could do with another refurb.

Would I buy the same again? Probably - if I wasn't the committed all-season tyres user I've become. They have been on the car for a total of 26k miles, and for the price I paid I can't really fault them. If it weren't for the worn edges on the fronts they would probably last another summer - by which time they would be 5 years old.