Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EGR cooler recall letter

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Blaupunk

Re: EGR cooler recall letter

Post by Blaupunk » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:47 pm

It took 4 weeks to get my X3 back from the dealer. However they gave me a brand new 530E (35 miles on the clock) to drive around in. So I was in no hurry to get my car back

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed May 01, 2019 7:13 am

Well, today's the day. :cry:

I'll update later.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed May 01, 2019 9:53 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:13 amWell, today's the day. :cry:

I'll update later.
All clear! :D Arrived around 08hr15. At 08hr30 I was wandering around the used cars, and could see my car getting its "pre-wash". By 09hr20 I was engrossed in the complementary newspaper when the service advisor came to inform me that the car doesn't need a new EGR cooler and I could take it away. Their computer system is down, and he's going to send the paperwork in the post. The only thing they picked-up on the health check is the tyres down to 3.5mm, which I already knew.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

marti

Post by marti » Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:53 am
StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:13 amWell, today's the day. :cry:

I'll update later.
All clear! :D Arrived around 08hr15. At 08hr30 I was wandering around the used cars, and could see my car getting its "pre-wash". By 09hr20 I was engrossed in the complementary newspaper when the service advisor came to inform me that the car doesn't need a new EGR cooler and I could take it away. Their computer system is down, and he's going to send the paperwork in the post. The only thing they picked-up on the health check is the tyres down to 3.5mm, which I already knew.
Well that was painless! :D

Ceesums

Post by Ceesums » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Just a heads up for everyone. My EGR cooler was replaced under the recall but they don't change the EGR valve at the same time. If the valve goes down the car goes into limp mode which mine did. Luckily it was replaced at home by BMW assist.

Osprey2

Post by Osprey2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:31 am

I've had my letter and mine goes in on 31st July. Just wondering if the theme still continues i.e. parts on back order. My dealer has said that the worse case scenario is the car being kept until parts arrive. I've asked them to have a look at the door seals as well as it's developed the known creaking noise.

SEANRGEE

Post by SEANRGEE » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Known creaky door fault???

Osprey2

Post by Osprey2 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Mine went in and came back the same day with the cooler changed. Great service from the garage and the courtesy car was useful but happier to exchange the 118d to the X3 :D

In relation to the squeaky door issue, it's known and if you search for it online you can see many, many posts on the issue and remedy. I let our garage know when it went in for the recall and all the seals were lubricated under warranty. So far they have stayed as quiet as they were when we had it first :)

Big Bad Boris

EGR cooler recall letter

Post by Big Bad Boris » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:48 pm

Resurrecting this old thread as we have today received the letter saying our car is being recalled for an EGR replacement. No action at this point, they are gathering parts and mobilising the troops in readiness, well get another letter in due course to book an appointment. They claim they will only need the car for 4 hours when the time comes, which seems better than the 4-5 weeks some had to suffer previously :o

Not sure why our vehicle hasn’t been recalled before (it’s a 2013 30d M Sport). Anyone else had the same letter today?

StuBeeDoo

EGR cooler recall letter

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:56 pm

There's a new recall. Maybe yours wasn't affected by the first one.

My 2012 F25 was recalled in '19, and they said it didn't need a replacement. Then about 9 months later (just before the first lockdown) it was recalled again and they actually replaced the cooler. A few weeks ago I got a letter saying it's being recalled for an EGR cooler replacement, and when I 'phoned them to tell them it's already been done over two years ago they told me they're doing it again. :roll:

Wayfarer

EGR cooler recall letter

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:15 pm

Found I had a recall on my x5 40d (f15) in July, EGR cooler replaced took around 4 hours in late July along with an oil service. Apparently a lot of the previous recall was inspection and only replace if required, this recall is to replace the EGR cooler with a new and hopefully more robust design.

Big Bad Boris

EGR cooler recall letter

Post by Big Bad Boris » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:38 pm

Actually I’ve just looked back at the notes I made when speaking to the servicing dealers b4 we bought the car (we’ve only had a it a few months). There is a note that it had a used car check at Jardines, Bury St Edmonds in Feb 2019, this included a check of the EGR which I assume at the time did not need replacing.

As Wayfarer mentions above looks like this time it will be replaced regardless, potentially with an improved design.

StuBeeDoo

EGR cooler recall letter

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:52 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:56 pmI 'phoned them to tell them it's already been done over two years ago they told me they're doing it again. :roll:
Booked-in for 7th October. I'm having the coolant fully drained & refilled (at my expense, obviously) while it's in there. This will be the third time coolant has been partially drained and the car is 10 years old, so it seems prudent to me.
Big Bad Boris wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:38 pmAs Wayfarer mentions above looks like this time it will be replaced regardless, potentially with an improved design.
From what I understand, the replacement coolers used will be post-July '22 production.

StuBeeDoo

EGR cooler recall letter

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:42 pm

It's just occurred to me........ I wonder if this latest recall is related to the mysterious catching-fire of Police cars.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EGR cooler recall letter

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 pm

I wondered the same, but the quiet word on the streets (ex-TraPol) implies incorrect servicing schedules and wrong grade oil. I’m surprised about that (if true) because when I worked with Surrey all out fleet were serviced at 3k intervals and correct parts fitted especially for the high speed fleet. OK high speed back then was what a 2.8 Mk4 Granny and 3.0 24V Senator could do but even so.

Whatever that problem really is, I’d like to know just in case mine has an ‘issue’ :fuelfire: I’ve not seen a recall letter but can’t find anything about which models and construction timeframes. DVSA have changed their data views now it’s on Gov.uk and it’s useless!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.