Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X3 2014 Turbo and DPF issue - advice gratefully recieved....

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
claire_Mee

X3 2014 Turbo and DPF issue - advice gratefully recieved....

Post by claire_Mee » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi looking for any advice from anyone who may have had similar issues. I have had a X3 2014 for 3.5years and not really had too many problems. It has 104k miles and I average around 18-20k miles per year. Wednesday this week my husband was driving the car and long story short the turbo packed in and it seems to have damaged various bits in the car. I have an extended warranty with BMW which I phoned up when my car went over 100k and asked if it was still worth having, the warranty people told me absolutely it is and that I would still be covered for most components. So anyway dealer today phoned to say car is needing a new turbo and also a new dpf filter - but whilst my warranty will cover the cost of the replacement turbo they want £2.1k from me to replace the dpf filer as they say that it is wear and tear component and not covered through warranty as my car is over 100k miles. I don't understand how they can make the distinction, the turbo blowing has caused the dpf filter to go so surely one is connected to the other??? Has anyone heard of anything similar. I phone BMW today and to say they were poor customer service is an understatment - totally not what I would expect from a company like BMW. I was basically told there was no further discussion to be had on it they wouldn't be prepared to talk to me any further about it and that was that. I will absolutely not let it go at that but before I work out what my next move is wondered if anyone had anything similar?

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: X3 2014 Turbo and DPF issue - advice gratefully recieved....

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:05 am

Did you contact BMW uk or the dealer.
BMW uk is the one you need to talk to.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:20 am

As Alan suggested, plus carefully read the policy beforehand, even if not strictly covered, BMW may make a goodwill contribution to that element of the repair, especially if it has a full bmw service history and no previous reports of dpf issues noted in the service history.

Good luck

marti

Post by marti » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:53 am

When you say it packed up, did it smoke?, if so all thats the matter with the DPF is is got oil contamination, get the turbo fitted take to a DPF cleaning centre, they will remove it clean it out and you be sorted for far less than 2.1k., even if not much smoke oil would have still have gone in to the DPF.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:45 am

One of the issues with many dealers is they are not allowed to repair, only replace. DPFs are a wear and tear item with a life of around 90,000 miles, more (or less) depending upon driving style and journey type.

My experience with BMW GB is they are useless unless their reputation is under threat.

As suggested above, your DPF may be recoverable by a centre offering a cleaning service (it’s clogged and dirty DPFs that cause the fail normally. Unless actually damaged they can very often just be cleaned and are fine. That of course makes BMW Dealers no money so they will want to replace it instead! :x
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.