Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bi-xenon headlights

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
StuBeeDoo

Bi-xenon headlights

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 am

My F25 has factory-fit bi-xenons but I'm underwhelmed by them, TBH. :( They are not particularly bright - in fact the DRL angel-eyes are just as bright.

Does anyone know what (if any) options are available for upgrading the xenon bulbs?

TIA
Stuart.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bi-xenon headlights

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:45 am

A common route is to upgrade to 55W HID lamps but you will need to change the ballasts as well.

I changed my factory HID bulbs to Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Laser a year back. Definitely brighter than OEM, which in my case were standard Osram Xenarc.

They aren’t cheap at over £120 a pair though there are frequent offers running.

Otherwise look at somewhere like HIDS4U for upgrade kits.

Be very wary of Chinese bulbs though. The focus and arc are often out of true which ruins the beams or causes glare. They’re cheap for a reason!
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks for ^^^ that. :thumbsup:
X5Sport wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:45 amBe very wary of Chinese bulbs though.
In the dim and distant past I got caught like that. :roll: For the last 10 years, or so, I've kept to known brands - Philips or Osram mainly.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Osprey2

Post by Osprey2 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:58 am

Have you the 'Adaptive headlights' pack? I have on mine and they are tremendous. If the light output is as low as you say there may be another issue? Hope you get it sorted :)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 am

I finally got 'round to fitting a pair of Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Laser, as per X5Sport's suggestion. I'll start from the beginning...............

As I've already posted on another thread, I hadn't realised that the inner projectors of my F25's bi-xenons are dummies. Good job I was checking the light units for something else before I ordered 4x D1S bulbs! :o

Swapping the bulbs is a little bit fiddly, and I think I haven't quite located the nearside bulb properly - I need to check this morning. But the job is fairly straightforward.

I'm still not 100% happy with the headlights. TBH, since fitting the new bulbs, I have only driven in the dark on my commute - which although 10+ miles has street-lighting all the way - and as above, the n/s bulb might not be focusing properly.

X5Sport noted above that his original bulbs were standard Osram Xenarcs. Mine were too.

I will report back when I have driven on fully dark roads, and I have checked the fitting of the n/s bulb. But for now, I'm not sure that the new bulbs have made very much difference. Osprey2 mentioned there could be another issue. The car has recently gone through the MOT with no problems, so there can't be much wrong with the headlights per se. ............And "Adaptive Headlights"?? How do I tell? What are the main differences between them and "normal" bi-xenons?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:53 pm

Adaptive simply have motors that waggle the projector unit with the steering input (in Auto). The bulbs are the same typically so that shouldn’t be the problem.

Unless something has happened inside both projectors (seems unlikely) to contaminate them (such as condensation) I can’t think of anything else that could affect both lamps at the same moment. They’re separate everything including power (deliberately).

From the outside I thought the only difference was one had ‘BMW Adaptive’ words one the side of the headlight lenses.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:17 am

X5Sport wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:53 pmAdaptive simply have motors that waggle the projector unit with the steering input (in Auto).
Ah, right! Mine are adaptive then. ...........I just don't use them in automatic mode. :roll:

I found a dark road on my way home last night. I have to say the lights are pretty bright. TBH I probably needn't have bothered buying the new bulbs as I very rarely drive in the dark apart from my commute - and that's usually no more than a couple of nights a week during Winter, and in the lighter months it's barely twilight. For the amount of night driving I do, I wouldn't spec. a new car with xenons, halogens would be perfectly adequate.

I've had a fiddle with the n/s bulb, and it seems to be seated OK, so I'll leave it until the next MOT and see if the test picks anything up.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:02 pm

I find mine pretty poor compared with previous non bmw cars with xenons. I had a look today and the plastic lenses are pretty hazed and needing a going over so probably the reason in my case.