Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TPMS question

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
beeRS

TPMS question

Post by beeRS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 am

I currently have 17" wheels with summer tyres on my 3.0D SE (F25). I am intending to fit some 18" original BMW wheels (off an E83), with some brand new all-season tyres.

What worries me, is the TPMS. I have searched on here and I cannot find the answer. Should I remove the sensor/valve from my old wheels and simply refit them to my new wheels? Does my car even use a sensor inside the tyre? I spoke to a local mechanic and he says some use a sensor inside the tyre, and some work by monitoring the tyre height/rotation. Any help from you knowledgeable folks would be appreciated.

Ceesums

Re: TPMS question

Post by Ceesums » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi, I believe the F25 uses the ABS sensors to detect wheel speed. Low pressure = more revolutions.
If you have sensors in the wheels, you may get the warning light show up then go off when you start the engine.
I hope this helps.

beeRS

Post by beeRS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:19 am

Ceesums wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:58 pm Hi, I believe the F25 uses the ABS sensors to detect wheel speed. Low pressure = more revolutions.
If you have sensors in the wheels, you may get the warning light show up then go off when you start the engine.
I hope this helps.
Thanks for that useful post. That puts my mind to rest. I can just go ahead and fit my new wheels now! :thumbsup:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am

If you have rubber valve stems then the chances are you have an ABS based TPMS system. If you have solid valve stems and may also see the individual tyre pressures on the iDrive then you have radio based TPMS fitted.

If the former then you can swap sets with no problem. If the latter then you need a second set of sensors fitted (or swap them). Sensors are typically anywhere from £60 to £90 each and you need the right type (there are lots of different ones!).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

beeRS

Post by beeRS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:43 pm

X5Sport wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am If you have rubber valve stems then the chances are you have an ABS based TPMS system. If you have solid valve stems and may also see the individual tyre pressures on the iDrive then you have radio based TPMS fitted.

If the former then you can swap sets with no problem. If the latter then you need a second set of sensors fitted (or swap them). Sensors are typically anywhere from £60 to £90 each and you need the right type (there are lots of different ones!).