Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Caliper wind-back

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
StuBeeDoo

Caliper wind-back

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Historically, I've relied on brute-force to push-back caliper pistons. With my advancing age, and my F25 not being a £3k snotter, I decided to invest in a proper tool. Most are right-hand thread, some are left-hand, and a few are both. The one I've got is both, but which way do I need to do it on the F25? TBH, I'd never noticed that the pistons actually screw in, I thought they just move straight.

TIA
Stuart.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Re: Caliper wind-back

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:38 pm

In the absence of any replies I did it clockwise. I haven't had any issues with the brakes over the 800 miles since I changed the discs and pads, so I assume clockwise is either;- 1) the correct way to do it, or 2) it makes no odds.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:41 pm

The screw in is only relevant to the vehicles that have the handbrake operating the pistons ie VAG vehicles. I’m not aware that BMW have started doing that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:01 am

henrym3 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:41 pmThe screw in is only relevant to the vehicles that have the handbrake operating the pistons ie VAG vehicles. I’m not aware that BMW have started doing that.
Ah, right. Makes sense now. Thank you. :thumbsup:

I know the trick for winding-back the handbrakes on the X3.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:40 am

Electric Handbrake with actuators on each rear wheel seem to becoming the norm on newer models? I first saw them on my Superb and having looked (out of curiosity triggered by this thread) have found that my LCI F46 now has them too. I’m hoping that they are more reliable than the Bowden cable actuator unit and separate drum brake shoe assembly as fitted to my X6. Those are silly money when they break!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:09 am

henrym3 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:41 pm The screw in is only relevant to the vehicles that have the handbrake operating the pistons ie VAG vehicles. I’m not aware that BMW have started doing that.
Our Z4 has this, the actuator bolts directly to the back of the caliper and turns the piston in and out to engage or release the handbrake using the normal brake pads.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Well, one learns something every day. Shows how out of date I am