Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New car and advice please

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Lambouk

New car and advice please

Post by Lambouk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi. I picked up my new but old car, it’s a black 2013 X3 SE with quite a few extras. (photos tomorrow).
Just a few things I’d like advice on. When I picked it up it was overcast so the screen looked great (widescreen) but today it’s sunny and it looks quite scratched at the bottom like a top coating has come off. Are there any fixes for this??? Also it only come with one key, what’s the cheapest way to get another one as I think it will be expensive from bmw. Thanks for any help

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New car and advice please

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Can’t help with the windscreen, but the keys are ‘active’ containing transponders and need coding to the car. BMW may be your only choice and yes they are expensive. :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Post by marti » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:29 pm

You can get a new screen also if you buy the correct scondhand key as long as it has a transponder inside you can get it programmed to your car at a diagnostic centre.

Lambouk

Post by Lambouk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks for the help. Where can I get a new screen apart from bmw dealer?

SEANRGEE

Post by SEANRGEE » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm

the navigation screen issue is a widely known problem - the scratches you see are the layer of anti glare which basically rubs off when 'cleaned' if not careful.
Do not waste lots of money buying a new screen - removing the screen is easy - there are plenty of videos online which show how but in essence you literally 'pull out the vent's panel beneath it'' and you will see 2 small torx screws at the bottom. Undo those, unplug the 2 connectors on the rear and the screen can be removed. From there you can 'clean' the screen and remove the offending layer of the remaining protection. (I used paper towel and what is known as cream cleanser). it's relatively easy but just take your time. Once done the screen will be like new and if you wish you can then purchase a new anti glare protector (again available over the net widely) to apply or you can just leave as is.
good luck.
this take about an hour end to end.

Lambouk

Post by Lambouk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks for the help and advice. I’m going to take out the screen this weekend and remove the anti glare.

SEANRGEE

Post by SEANRGEE » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 pm

did you repair it?