Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mixed tyres

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
sunnyb92

Mixed tyres

Post by sunnyb92 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:31 pm

I am owner of X3 2014 facelift and was querying approved used being sold with mixed tyres (front 2 x P7 and rear yoko G95 M+S). Dealer obviously said fine but official manual and my local BMW dealer said not good.

Reply from BMW at national level states my set up is safe - so I have now asked them to confirm the manual and local dealer are incorrect.

Any comments welcome

marti

Re: Mixed tyres

Post by marti » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:59 am

It was always the rule dont mix on the same axle.....so I would say its fine too.

sid10

Post by sid10 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:07 am

Are they runflats ? , star marked as they should not be selling a car without the star marking from a BMW dealer !
The mm in tread is also important on these cars as they tend to wind up the diff if none standard .

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:21 am

What sizes of tyre are we talking? If it's a square set-up (ie same size front and rear) you might get away with it. If it's a staggered set-up, star-marked (BMW "homologated") tyres are pretty-much essential if you want to avoid the well-known potential transmission faults.

The next question is what are the current tread depths? IIRC, the official line is that the circumference of all 4 tyres must be within 1%, which equates to less than 3mm tread depth. It's possible that 2 different brands could be close to, or even beyond, that tolerance even when new - particularly if they are different sizes front & rear.

As I said at the beginning, you might get away with it. But personally, I'd be looking to either change the tyres for a full matching set sooner rather than later - or walk away from the car.

As ever, this is just my opinion. :)
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)