Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox Oil or Transfer box

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Chinnyman

Gearbox Oil or Transfer box

Post by Chinnyman » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi all,

Longtime lurker here. Apologies for minimal contribution but I will try and help if I can.

At lowish speeds the car is slightly jerky and shudders ever so slightly. I don't hear any clunks or grinding.
Possibly happens under 60 too and maybe more so going at a constant speed but it's hard to tell. I notice it more at around 20-30mph hovering over the accelerator.

The tyres were changed at different intervals.

My mechanic has reccomended changing the ZF gearbox oil. Which is probably a good idea anyway. I was just curious to know of there is anything else I should consider or lose sleep over.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gearbox Oil or Transfer box

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:08 pm

If the car is more than 8 years old, or has more than 60,000 miles on it, changing all of the transmission fluids is probably a good preventative measure. Done properly it’s expensive though. I’ve had quotes from official ZF Agents of more than £1,000 to change them all out (Box, 2 diffs & tfr case).

You commented about tyres being changed at different intervals? It will be worth checking that the tread depth does not differ by more than about 1.5mm on any corner as that can upset the system too. If you’ve been lurking you’ll know all about BMWs and their intolerance of tyres.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

brandon888

Post by brandon888 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:58 pm

I just had my transfer box replaced, the symptom on my car is at slow speed during sharp turn it shudder/vibrate...

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 am

Tyres.

Chinnyman

Post by Chinnyman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:50 am

Central depth on tyres appear equal. However the front tyres have slightly more wear on the inner and outer edges....

Gearbox is 8.5litres of oil and filter. Approx £500 bill.

Chinnyman

Post by Chinnyman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:06 pm

Not sure if it was in my mind. I did a gearbox reset i found on a forum and im pretty sure it has fixed it.

Will probably get the oils changed anyway as precaution

rockwell

Post by rockwell » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:26 pm

I've just changed the gearbox and diff (both) oils on an e83 X3 3.0d manual. I supplied the oil bought from Opie Oils to a local garage. Definitely worth doing as a preventative measure. The mechanic queried putting API-GL5 oil in the manual box, he checked with Opie who said it's fine. If its a problem will change to Red Line GL4.

My transfer case was rebuilt 6 months ago....only issue is occasionally if I reverse on grass or uneven surfaces the amber 4x4, abs and handbrake lights appear. Engine switched off for a few seconds clears it. No idea whats causing this so will take it back to be checked.