Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Strange Unexplained Happenings

All X3 (G01) discussions go here.
Stinky

Strange Unexplained Happenings

Post by Stinky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi All....Just like to share something with you!
I purchased my NEW X3 G01 back in February 2018.  The vehicle is keyless entry etc and garaged every evening in our garage adjacent to our home.  On four occassions now I have gone out the the garage in the morning and found the car unlocked and the rear hatchback open and fully elevated....a bit concerning???

I always lock the vehicle even though in a secure garage out of habit and I always simply use the touch pad on the door handle to do so...(not keyfob)  Trapping the fob buttons in my pocket might explain the strange occurences but on each occassion the most recent this morning the hatch is always up not just simply the car found to be unlocked.  I'm wondering have any other owners of this model or indeed any X Series owners experienced this before.  It could I suppose have many causes but I'm interested to hear your responses particularly if you yourself have had it happen to you...Thanks in advance

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Strange Unexplained Happenings

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 am

Almost certain to be inadvertent pressing of the remote key buttons. Not had it on my F46 Gran Tourer as the key is in a BMW key case, but used to do it all the time with my last car (Škoda) with keyless entry.  Used to drive me mad!

I also keep my keys in a RFID wallet when not in use as this also prevents the radio signals between the key and the car from being picked up by thieves (or the car).

There are a range of key covers available, have a look at Realoem (BMW Parts Database on line, current to June 2018) use the last 7 characters of your VIN to pull up the right car.  Key covers are in the Retrofittings Section.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Stinky

Re: Strange Unexplained Happenings

Post by Stinky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 am

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice...I'll try to take comfort from it.  I keep my keys in a key purse and I have two small sheets of stiff card around it in order to prevent the inadvertent pressing of the buttons but at the same time it doesn't block the signal.  Like my school reports "Must Try Harder"  I might actually introduce a stiffer material in order to prevent an individual button being pressed and I will certainly look up your recommended solution....Thanks again.