Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre Wear G01

All X3 (G01) discussions go here.
Stinky

Tyre Wear G01

Post by Stinky » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:02 pm

After only 18000 klms in NEW G01 X3 I asked to have a 4 wheel alignment check done as the outside shoulders (both front wheels) of the fitted 19" Bridgestone Alenza RFTs were completely worn down. :o

The alignment check showed adjustment required and it was done....I am an easy driver hit no potholes or ramps kerbs etc.

Anyone else? Are Bridgestone less durable than other leading brands?

MJC44

Re: Tyre Wear G01

Post by MJC44 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:23 pm

My GO1 has covered 7000 miles on the same Bridgestone RFT tyres and the front ones are both showing signs of wear on the outer shoulders. Spoke to my dealer about having alignment checked and he advised that it was an issue with X3s and X5s. I had exactly the same problem with the RFTs on my 320 and even after wheel alignment the wear continued. So will probably wait until tyres need replacing and have the alignment checked.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat May 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Thank you for getting back MJC44...I too got the typical dealer cop-out answer..."Known Issue"... :( :thumbsdown:

Io1901x

Post by Io1901x » Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am

I'll keep an eye on ours, it's on the standard 18" wheels non runflat, and only done couple of thousand miles so far so too early to tell.
Formally io1901

MJC44

Post by MJC44 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Yes please let me know how it goes. I think the issue is mainly with the Run-flats. I will be speaking to my dealer who I know well about possibly turning the tyres and putting them on the opposite sides, as well as having the steering geometry checked.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 am

I purchased a new set....being fitted today...23/05/2019. 22820 klms just over 14000 miles. When I had the wheel alignment check done they said they would not change over any wheels back to front or side to side because there was an advisory at the 20000 klm to consider changing. That was a surprise!!! The rears are fine but the fronts are completely gone on the outside shoulders and the centre of the two fronts are fine too. I'm never stingy when it comes to tyres so if that what it takes that's what I do. My driving style would not be the cause of the excessive shoulder wear. I'm putting exact same tyres as the vehicle came with...Bridgestone Alenza 19" so I will be watching and comparing the performance/wear on this set. I'd be interested to hear as to whether or not other RFT brands are suffering in the same way.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 pm

OK just an update from me regards my OP of May 2019 expressing concern re tyre wear. If you've read previous posts you will note I fitted new Bridgestone 19" RFT as per what the car was originally delivered with. Pleased to report (touch wood) I've done 13,000 klms on them since last May 2019 and they are wearing perfectly...no excessive wear on the shoulders as per original set. I did post that I had a wheel alignment done which DID need adjustments. I never hit any pot holes etc so I have come to the conclusion that BMWs South Carolina Plant set up these G01s incorrectly regards camber etc??? ….That is also why I believe it became a "Known Issue" and common amongst the early releases... Just wondering have any of you owners with 2019 releases encountered the shoulders of your front tyres almost vanishing on low mileage?

Zippy99

Post by Zippy99 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:04 pm

I Just recently had my first MOT at 14800 miles and the Bridgestone Runflats on my X3 20i, not yet 3 years old at the time of the MOT, all have cracks running through the tyre tread and you can see where the rubber is splitting apart. I was very surprised to see that this wasn’t a fail as tyres in my book are a major safety feature and to be honest I’d never ever heard of this type of tyre cracking which is like the formation of a crevice within the tread on one of the tyres. The tyres are Bridgestones 245/59 R19, but apparently it’s not a failure only an advisory. When I approached the dealer, they essentially said they’d been down this track with BMW with other customers and they won’t help in getting a resolution. And in a nutshell I raised a complaint with Bridgestone and in there reply they’ve already prejudged the outcome of a claim against them. This was after I sent them some photos and they gave a whole host of reasons for why the tyres in my care have gone like this, although they will take a look at the tyres, once I’ve bought and changed the 4 tyres out for a manufacturing defect. Needless to say the obstacles thrown up make me feel it’s not worth proceeding but for a tyre that still has 6mm on the rear and 6mm centre and 4mm on the outer fronts, and not 3 years old, I’m obviously very disappointed and they have effectively lost a customer, as I’ll now look at replacing them with the Pirelli Centurato P7, which hopefully will also improve the ride? What’s evident is that tyre manufacturers guarantees aren’t worth the paper they’re written on…
9E8197BF-A38E-499C-9D88-19FF90F03714.jpeg
9E8197BF-A38E-499C-9D88-19FF90F03714.jpeg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 7024 times

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri May 07, 2021 1:49 pm

Those are well past their best zippy but at 15k I'd say you have done OK with them. Wasting your time contacting the tyre manufacturer after all this time I think.
Outer shoulder wear certainly a problem on x5 front tyres especially if you don't have runflats and use standard pressures they just look flat... Which they are, ordinary tyres need more pressure as the sidewalls are far weaker.

Zippy99

Post by Zippy99 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:18 pm

I tend to agree Leslie. I’m now finalising my replacements which won’t be the the Bridgestone Alenza 001. And as I mentioned, I’m erring towards the Pirelli Centurato P7, which is a better rated tyre on two out of the three tyre label measures, fuel and noise, with grip being the same. But on whatever I decide, I’ll definitely get the wheel alignment checked as looking through these posts makes me think I’ve wrongly been blaming the tyres for following the camber and the tramlining, which has been so irritating and irritates me even more if it’s never been checked by the dealer when it’s gone in for service issues. Oh if there’s anybody out there with good or bad experience withe the Pirelli tyre, then I’d appreciate a heads up. The tyre in question is BB 70db rated.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri May 07, 2021 5:21 pm

I was underwhelmed by the P7 Cinturatos that came on my F25. It may not be relevant in this case though as mine are 17s. ..........And they were already 4 years old when I bought the car. I found them noisey, and lacking in grip - especially in the wet.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri May 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Cracking might be due to too much heat being generated with the tyre flexing due to under inflation as well .

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri May 07, 2021 9:49 pm

To see so much cracking fairly widespread across the whole tyre is surprising....I'm also surprised to see so much tread available after 14800 miles I get nothing like that out of the Alenzas I had (2 sets x4) I'm now on Pirelli Cinturatos (19") so we'll see how they go. Just checking we are talking X3 G01 here aren't we?

Zippy99

Post by Zippy99 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:30 am

Yes Stinky it’s definitely a G01and Leslie, in my ownership the tyres have always been at the right pressures. I’ve had it since December ‘18. The car was originally registered end of March ‘18, but wasn’t actually put on the road until end of August, so I have no knowledge of its storage and on road condition during the first ‘official’ part of its life.

Here’s the relevant body of the letter I received back from Bridgestone, as you will see there are many reasons given for why the tyres could develop these cracks and whilst not directly saying so ‘lack of use i.e. lock down is an obvious contributory candidate.

‘ Based on the images you have provided the concern seems to be surface rubber cracking in the main grooves. The cracking on the tyre is due to oxidation of the rubber, which causes the rubber to become more brittle, and crack under stress. Ageing of the rubber is accelerated by exposure to certain factors, such as sunlight, sea air, contaminants (including tyre blacking agents), and ozone (which can come from motor exhaust and electrical motors). The effects of ageing are particularly noted when the vehicle is parked up for periods of time, and the anti-ageing oils and agents on the surface of the tyre are broken down or washed off, and not replenished from within the tyre by the tyre’s movement. Also, oxidation of the tyre is possible when the rubber is under stress, the more stress the tyre is under, the more likely the tyre will suffer from oxidation. Tyres which are run with insufficient pressure are more likely to crack in this manner.

Tyre manufacturers add ingredients to rubber compounds to slow down the rate at which tyres age. However, conditions of storage and use (including tyre maintenance) have a larger influence over the tyre aging process. Tyres that are used infrequently (low mileage) and/or in coastal areas will age more quickly. Low usage prevents the anti-ageing oils from migrating to the tread surface (oil replenishment at the tread surface is diminished), so causing the tyres to display surface rubber cracking.

From the images you have provided, I can confirm that in their current state we would recommend that you continue using the tyres, as the surface rubber cracking is not compromising tyre safety or the tyres dynamic characteristics. Apart from the visual appearance of surface cracking the tyres are totally fine for continued use. However, you should check tyres regularly for any signs of damage or further deterioration. A change in the dynamic properties of the tyre and/or vibrations could be an indicator of the effects of tyre ageing. If any such symptoms appear, replace the tyres immediately.’

Zippy99

Post by Zippy99 » Sat May 08, 2021 7:40 am

Stinky, as I’ve said I’m considering the ‘latest’ Pirelli tyre, which is BB and 70db rated (you might have the CB rated one), but what’s your experience so far on wear and handling?