Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coolant slow leak

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Chreesy

Coolant slow leak

Post by Chreesy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi guys,

Had a slow leak in the expansion tank possibly the hose to radiator usually light comes on every 2/3 weeks and needs a small top up.

Can’t find the leak inside the engine was looking to get holts or k seal along with a new bottle of anti freeze. Had the x stream g.

Anyone had similar issues and or recommendions for anti freeze and a sealant to use?

marti

Re: Coolant slow leak

Post by marti » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:12 am

probably the expansion tank has a small split in it which normally happens where you cant see it....common thing on BMW;s

Chreesy

Post by Chreesy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 am

Hi Marti,

Yeah I cleaned all the gunk off the inside of the car few months back hoping to see a pool or marks where its been leaking but cant find anything.

I was going to get the dye to run through it but was told it was pointless better to put a seal solution in or replace the expansion tank

Is removing the expansion tank a DIY job I could do myself? Im not too bad with doing air filter changes cleaning out the valves etc think it may be another youtube job. Only issue I seen before was most the us and EU cars have the oblong tank where as mines is the wider flat style which don't seem as easy to get or any tutorials on how to replace.

The idea was with the black sales on to get some good antifreeze and a sealant just incase its coming from elsewhere see if it stop the slow leak and hopefully retains the antifreeze

marti

Post by marti » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:05 am

Use realoem to find the part number.......

Chreesy

Post by Chreesy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks Marti,

Managed to get a coolant expansion tank the other day on ebay for cheap try and replace it myself give the hoses a quick check as well.

Put car into garage today to see what the issue is with the grinding at the back and fault lights, fingers crossed its the brakes and not the transmission chain, box etc.