Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

new to '06 3.0 SD

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
amaddocks

new to '06 3.0 SD

Post by amaddocks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:34 am

Hi everyone, I have found posts here extremely helpful. Just taken on an '06 3.0 sd facelift, quite high miler, and have some questions specifically for those who have experience with the SD. I know @jagr has one of these cars and has contributed here.

1. doe 17'' wheels fit this version? I've read elsewhere that maybe they don't due to bigger brakes? Also this size is not listed in the options for wheels and tyres on the door frame tag. I am looking to experiment with 60 or even 65 profile tyres to improve the ride.
2. Any feedback based on your experience with EGR delete? Is it necessary / wise ?
3. same for swirl flaps and blanks
4. how many thermostats does this version actually have and which should be replaced - I am getting low temp readings at higher speeds (as documented elsewhere on other posts here)
5. Transmission oil changes - front and rear diffs, auto trans: which ones are DIY-able?

Thanks in advance for your input.

XK8

Re: new to '06 3.0 SD

Post by XK8 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi, I have an 2007 3.0SD, I have had it for around 3 years now. I’ll try to answer your Q’s according to my experience with the car and the mods / maintenance that I have carried out. I’m fortunate to be able to share my driving between two cars, a Jaguar XK8 in the summer months and the X3 in the winter months, the jag does not like the taste of salt. So only do around 4000 miles a year in the X3.

1:- I’m running the 19 inch rims with the staggered star rated Pirelli’s, very expensive, but cheeper than a transfer box rebuild!! I fit my 18” Dunlop winters once the temperature drops. I have no knowledge of 17’s, but I suspect it will not looks as nice, I love the stance on 19’s
2:- EGR. I removed my EGR last spring time and fitted the straight through equivalent, to be honest I have not noticed any mpg or other improvements, but I’m happy they the engine and turbos are not ingesting the exhaust gasses any more. I have not had an mot since, but as the egr is under the engine cover I suspect all will be fine as it will not get spotted.
3:- FLAPS. This was the second job I did, as I read horror stories about flaps dropping into he engine, all the flaps were fine on my intake manifold and had the upgraded version, I still blanked them off. Again, no noticeable differences but piece of mind.
4:- Stats. This his was the first job, but do this at the same time as the swirl flaps, as it’s all in that area and the intake manifold and egr has to come off to change the thermostat’s. there are indeed two stats, an egr one that is no longer required on mine as I have no egr and the mail engine stat.
I was getting low temps, 70 -75, up to 90 - 95 now. B T W, according to information I have read, the DPF will not regenerate if the engine temp is below 75, so you really need to get this done.
5:- I’ve changed the transfer box oil only so far as it was recommended by numerous posts on the interweb and was easy, I plan to do the diffs next spring / summer. The g-box is super smooth so I’m not planning to have this done as yet. The transmission oil change, if carried out wil get done by my local transmission shop who have a power flush system, this apparently gets all the oil out, therefore a complete oil change, as lots of the oil sits in the torque converter.

I have also changed all the glow plugs, as three were duff, according to the fault codes, also the glow plug controller. This also impacts the regen process of the DPF.
All the pads, discs and guide pins on he callipers.
New battery.
I’ve recently had the ECU remapped by Superchips, apparently I’m getting around 350bhp now, it was fast before, but now, good lord it really pulls. The MPG is suppose to improve, but I’m having way to fun with the right foot just now.

MPG is mid to low 20’s on short runs and mid to low 30’s on long runs, (cruising at 70-90) which is disappointing as I was expecting a bit more when I purchased it, but smiles per mile are plenty. We took it to the Dordogne region in France last year (1200 mls) in preference to our other cars and it performed magnificently, apart drinking from lots of fuel.

As you mentioned @jagr also,has an SD, his posts helped me when I first got mine, as he had discovered all the same problems that I had and solved them before I had too.
Current Garage
2007 BMW X3 3.0sd M-Sport
2004 Jaguar XK8
2010 BMW 330i coupe
1978 Yamaha XT500

amaddocks

Post by amaddocks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:35 am

XK8 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 pm Hi, I have an 2007 3.0SD, I have had it for around 3 years now. I’ll try to answer your Q’s according to my experience with the car and the mods / maintenance that I have carried out. I’m fortunate to be able to share my driving between two cars, a Jaguar XK8 in the summer months and the X3 in the winter months, the jag does not like the taste of salt. So only do around 4000 miles a year in the X3.

1:- I’m running the 19 inch rims with the staggered star rated Pirelli’s, very expensive, but cheeper than a transfer box rebuild!! I fit my 18” Dunlop winters once the temperature drops. I have no knowledge of 17’s, but I suspect it will not looks as nice, I love the stance on 19’s
2:- EGR. I removed my EGR last spring time and fitted the straight through equivalent, to be honest I have not noticed any mpg or other improvements, but I’m happy they the engine and turbos are not ingesting the exhaust gasses any more. I have not had an mot since, but as the egr is under the engine cover I suspect all will be fine as it will not get spotted.
3:- FLAPS. This was the second job I did, as I read horror stories about flaps dropping into he engine, all the flaps were fine on my intake manifold and had the upgraded version, I still blanked them off. Again, no noticeable differences but piece of mind.
4:- Stats. This his was the first job, but do this at the same time as the swirl flaps, as it’s all in that area and the intake manifold and egr has to come off to change the thermostat’s. there are indeed two stats, an egr one that is no longer required on mine as I have no egr and the mail engine stat.
I was getting low temps, 70 -75, up to 90 - 95 now. B T W, according to information I have read, the DPF will not regenerate if the engine temp is below 75, so you really need to get this done.
5:- I’ve changed the transfer box oil only so far as it was recommended by numerous posts on the interweb and was easy, I plan to do the diffs next spring / summer. The g-box is super smooth so I’m not planning to have this done as yet. The transmission oil change, if carried out wil get done by my local transmission shop who have a power flush system, this apparently gets all the oil out, therefore a complete oil change, as lots of the oil sits in the torque converter.

I have also changed all the glow plugs, as three were duff, according to the fault codes, also the glow plug controller. This also impacts the regen process of the DPF.
All the pads, discs and guide pins on he callipers.
New battery.
I’ve recently had the ECU remapped by Superchips, apparently I’m getting around 350bhp now, it was fast before, but now, good lord it really pulls. The MPG is suppose to improve, but I’m having way to fun with the right foot just now.

MPG is mid to low 20’s on short runs and mid to low 30’s on long runs, (cruising at 70-90) which is disappointing as I was expecting a bit more when I purchased it, but smiles per mile are plenty. We took it to the Dordogne region in France last year (1200 mls) in preference to our other cars and it performed magnificently, apart drinking from lots of fuel.

As you mentioned @jagr also,has an SD, his posts helped me when I first got mine, as he had discovered all the same problems that I had and solved them before I had too.
Thanks XK for the detailed response - all very helpful and great to know what order you are doing things in. a couple of follow up questions if I may:
1. very interesting about the glow plugs - hadn't thought of that but makes sense. I havne't got my diagnostic kit yet - did you run the diagnostics yourself? If so which software and if you don't mind me asking where did you source it as there's so much out there it is truly confusing. (you can PM me if you prefer).
2. very useful heads up on doing the swirl flaps at the same time. as I don;t have repair manuals yet I hadn't yet seen the logic of that so thanks again. Did you do the stats and swirl flaps yourself ? How long did it take you?
3. Where did you source the blanking kit? Which size of blanking plates does it take?

Thanks again. Much appreciated. I will try to post my findings too once I embark on it.

XK8

Post by XK8 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks XK for the detailed response - all very helpful and great to know what order you are doing things in. a couple of follow up questions if I may:
1. very interesting about the glow plugs - hadn't thought of that but makes sense. I havne't got my diagnostic kit yet - did you run the diagnostics yourself? If so which software and if you don't mind me asking where did you source it as there's so much out there it is truly confusing. (you can PM me if you prefer).
2. very useful heads up on doing the swirl flaps at the same time. as I don;t have repair manuals yet I hadn't yet seen the logic of that so thanks again. Did you do the stats and swirl flaps yourself ? How long did it take you?
3. Where did you source the blanking kit? Which size of blanking plates does it take?

Thanks again. Much appreciated. I will try to post my findings too once I embark on it.

1. I initially used the Carly BMW app, via my android tablet. Although I believe the basic OBD stuff out there will talk to the engine systems. Someone on here please jump in.
I have only recently managed to install and use the BMW ISTA-D software, BMW Carly is sufficient and what I used. I was just super curious and would not accept defeat on the ISTA-D!!
2. Flaps, stats, glow plug controller and glow pugs at the same, i took my time and dipped in and out as the car is off the road in the summer, so could not really exactly say how long this might take. Best guess would be a full day, as it is quite fiddly. There is plenty of information on here and the interweb re these jobs. That is where i got most of the info from. The glow plug controller is a bitch to get to, even with the inlet manifold off, knuckles will bleed!!
3. I’m not sure where i got mine from, eBay, amazon or x8r. Have a look at the x8r web page, load of info on there, there are two different sizes mine was 22mm i think but mine is a slightly later model that yours, so please check carefully.

I’ve also had to replace the rear springs, due to our wonderful road surfaces, its also a weak spot on the X3’s to be fair.
Current Garage
2007 BMW X3 3.0sd M-Sport
2004 Jaguar XK8
2010 BMW 330i coupe
1978 Yamaha XT500

amaddocks

Post by amaddocks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks XK8 for your invaluable input, tips and where you sourced several items - all massively appreciated. Now the job doesn't feel quite as daunting (it needs to get done in one day - gulp!)