Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Test Drive BMW X3 (F25) 2.0d SE Auto

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Test Drive BMW X3 (F25) 2.0d SE Auto

Post by AW8 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:48 am

I’m not the first to post with regards to test driving the new X3 but having now driven one I thought it only polite to share my thoughts & impressions.

The external appearance the new X3 is certainly acceptable to eye & absent of Bangle Angles. The new model has proportionate lines, & much thought has clearly been given to making the car interesting & stylish. The aesthetics of the bonnet are particularly appealing & the car has a chunkier look than the outgoing model. The new X3 actually isn’t that much shorter than the first X5 & is more impactive than the more understated & smaller X1.

The new X3's interior is equally acceptable, albeit there’s nothing groundbreaking here & despite the X3's interior having moved on from the outgoing model. Significantly the new X3 comes with cow bits for seats as standard & is complimented with satin silver trim. Customers can pay £255 to have brushed aluminium trim although I would want to know I was getting a significantly better look than the standard trim. Those partial to collecting tree parts, (you know who you are ;) ), can adorn their X3's interior with same for £345. The interior feels well put together with the exception being the boot floor which I suspect has been designed to keep vehicle weight down.

So then looks department out of the way let's look at the spec of the car I tested.

The car I drove came with the optional 8-Speed Steptronic Gearbox(£1525), & was running on standard 17" alloys without run flats,(optional wheel/tyre packages have run flats & up to a 19” max rim diameter), needless to say I wasn't sad to see the absence of the controversial rubber choice on the car I drove. With the appaling state of todays roads in Britain buyers within these shores are no doubt more frequently questioning the logic of fitting lower profile tyres &/or seeking out harder suspension packages. Note that the launch model is available in SE spec only albeit their is a "Performance Control" promises sportier handling & engine response for just £125. "Variable Damper Control" comes in at £930 & "Variable Sport Steering" prices at £380. I do not believe that any of these 3 options were fitted to the car I tested. The demonstartor I tested came with various options packs including the Climate Comfort package, (£1420), the Cold Weather package, (£805), & the Navigation inclusive Media package, (£2210).

The salesman on my test drive was new to the local area & did not know all the rural roads near to the dealership………I didn’t need asking twice when asked if I had a local route preference. Before moving odd I easily adjust the seat & steering to my needs, however. those who feel the need can pay BMW £970 to move their backsides with electronic assistance. At this time I am not aware of an option for electric steering wheel adjustment & some may find this an odd omission.

On moving off I first take it easy so as to acquaint myself with the car. With the 8-speed Steptronic box in manual mode I take in a couple of undulating roundabouts, the car holds my desired course as I admire it’s cornering abilities. In auto mode I enter a dual carriageway slip road rising to an incline. I apply a little more more pressure to the accelerator so as not to run out of filter tarmac &, whilst nothing spectacular occurrs, the torque available causes the car is to merge with ease alongside what had been more progressive traffic. I don’t try autobhan speeds, however, the 2.0d lump allows BMW's newest SUV to cruise effortlessly up & down varied inclines without me having any concerns as to how it would cope with sensible speeds on multi lane British roads.

Fast forward a few minutes later & I am entering my next selected section of test route. I again select manual gear mode as as the salesman queries if I happen to know the local roads - I confirm this is the case & we're off ! The car moves along at a respectable pace as I cause it to travel a several miles of varied black quality black stuff. Twists & dips, cambers & inclines the new X3 takes the route in it's stride against a picturesque rural backdrop. The salesman comments that I seem to be enjoying driving the car & he is right. I have also enjoyed driving other cars on this route, but the X3 certainly seems to cope more than adequately.

By way of comparison to my 4.4i X5 Sport the X3's 2.0d engine is a little less urgent than my V8 when I demand instant power delivery, albeit the lighter more nimble X3 is more seamless across the rev range. I doubt there would be much in it if both cars driven back to back the X5 V8 more grunt but in truth the X3 probably making less work in dealing with the bumps & lumps on offer today.

Pressing on I happen to come across a couple of slower moving cars which as luck would have it they are near perfectly positioned for me to allow the X3 to show it’s 's overtaking abilities. At real world speeds, with open views, progressive overtakes are executed without strain. Sure there are cars far more urgent & able to sieze the opportunities of smaller gaps but the X3 2.0d is adequate in delivering. Only the insane or unwise are likely to be caught out in everyday driving.

Today the road surfaces are generally dry with the exception of a few damp spots in places, (I don’t check the passenger seat upholstery). I’m far from being the perfect driver, (& have yet to meet such a person), yet today on these roads, in this car, I briefly forget that I am only driving the launch model which has the less powerful, & less guilt laden 2.0d powerplant. (3.0d is rumoured to be hit uk shores in last quarter of 2011).

Making enjoyable brisk progress when safe the X3 never puts a foot wrong. I don't try to find the cars limits, (though at times in my test drive I can think of other similar sized 4x4's that might have occasionally found their limits if trying to match pace). I am driving the car enthusiastically yet repectfully & mindful the car is destined to adorn a customers driveway in the not too distant future. Despite pressing on the salesman comments on how smooth proceedings are. The new X3 takes everything in its stride & is demonstrating sure footed handling & adequate road holding. The car never put a foot wrong & is absent of unacceptable dipping, diving or noticeable suspension noise when in my hands.

The car I am driving has the optional 8 speed Steptronic gearbox which is supposedly a first for BMW in being the first auto box offered with stop start technology. Due to being on open roads I am not getting the opportunity to use it today, (I have prior driven manual BMWs with this feature which is fine when you get used to it). One criticism is whereas the manual box, (standard specification), has an Optimal Upshift indicator, the feature designed to help drivers yield better MPG isn’t available for the auto Steptronic box, (when the driver chooses to select manual mode). I assume that the technology is absent or the logic is that owners selecting Steptronic gears manually want to make progress rather than to economise. Using the 8-Speed auto in manual steptronic mode I do, on occasions, find myself having to look at the dash display as the difference between the some adjacent ratios is negligible at times, (& I cant keep counting every time I shake the magic stick). On a more positive note, the combined fuel consumption figure is claimed to be an impressive identical 50.4 mpg both for cars with auto & manual boxes.

My desire to change gear reminds me I generally prefer to choose what ratio to use. Whilst enjoying this car I cant but think I would like to try one with the standard manual gearbox. If I had an X3 as a keeper then I might later lose some sleep thinking of potential bills if ticking the auto option & not extending the warranty. If I did plentiful urban driving or did the daily motorway gridlock thing then the auto would be my only choice to avoid clutch pedal tedium. Future residual consideration may be another factor why some choose to tick certain option boxes,( maybe including Steptronic), on their order form(s).

My route, though well chosen, is absent of legal green lane opportunities. I briefly touch on the X3's ability on off road capabilities as I manage to slowly traverse a muddy inclined bank & so as to afford passage to an oncoming vehicle on a single track road. The tame task coped with adequately, albeit with a little lateral movement detected. Ending my rural excursion I eventually re-join the same dual carriageway to head back to the dealership, (no luxury of a slip road at this junction). I accelerate fairly hard so as to gather speed & avoid dangerous conflict with faster traffic. Adequate progress is made but a slight diesel clatter as we approach 4k rpm reminds me that I am driving a 2.0d & I back off slightly despite the salesman assuring me I the car is fine & that I am not being unsymptahetic to the vehicle. Coming off the dual carriageway I grab one last overtake before reducing the pace before safely arriving back at the dealership.

The salesman confirms I like the car & mentions the cars strong fuel economy headline figures. I check the MPG display on the easy to use i-drive which is standard on this car & it shows around 32 or 33 mpg. I far from mirrored the official goverment consumption test figures but I had driven the car with deliberation, over some considerable distance. I doubt the mpg computer was reset before my outing & now wish I had done this out of curiosity. Anyway salesman then asks me if I would like to order one & I politely explain that though able to do so I presently have other financial priorities. I only took had a test drive on back of being offered same when in the dealership for other reasons & I would definitely not rule out buying such a new shape X3 in the future.

In summary I think the latest X3 2.0d SE is all most would need most of the time in most of the UK. Sure there are other far more powerful offerings out there & I have driven far more powerful & faster vehicles. Facts remains that this competent car is relatively well priced, costs just £125 to put a tax disc in it’s windscreen & 5 years servicing is just £295. The road tax & insurance are highly likely lower than the forthcoming X3 3.0d, (but like others I am curious to see what the 3.0d may deliver). I would genuinely consider buying the car I drove if it was available, (it’s already reserved), & more importantly if I could comfortably justify the cost.

Of course simlar money could buy other new or used offerings. A good pre-owned E70 X5 is within reach for the price of a new X3 especially if the X3 were ordered with a few toys. I wont go into details of all X3 options & option packages but suffice to say the information is out there for anyone seriously thinking about buying a new shape X3. No doubt some who are considering this car may also want to see how competitors shape up & including any forthcoming models.

The new F25 X3 2.0d SE is BMW showrooms now & priced from £31,135 (OTR) without ticking any option boxes.

Do consider that delivery time quoted to me was 7 - 9 months....!

Hope the above is of interest to some :)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Test Drive BMW X3 (F25) 2.0d SE Auto

Post by Sanj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 am

Great write up as you always do buddy. :thumbsup:

Think it's an 'OK' looker and like yourself I would seriously consider the 2 litre diesel lump next time round - just not in the X3, probably the new 5 series. Nothing but good things said about it. Would you now test drive a 5 series too? Or is it a 4x4 all the way for you?
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 am

Good review. Despite having mentioned an interest in driving both the new 5 touring and the new X3, my salesguy has not been proactive and contacted me to do so as of yet.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:12 am

Great read while drinking my cuppa! Cheers AW8 for a detailed review of your experience.

From what I have seen of the car, it looks ok. I'm sure as BMW always do, a better bodykit / facelift and different alloys will make it more desireable in the next few years. I'm not sure how I feel about a 2.0d and an 8 Speed Auto box. I'd have thought that the 2.0d is probably a little small for a car like that but technology has moved on since the days where a 2.0 auto would take what felt like minutes to kick down and start moving some.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 am

Great write up, and having had a good look around one myself, great looking car too. It looks to be a huge improvement over it's predecessor. I would very seriously consider one as an E53 replacement given it's nearly the same size. I think when I specced one up on line it came in about £45k which was not bad (to me anyway given that a new 6er was more in basic trim than a tricked out X6 :o )

I might try for a test drive once the 6-cyl appears to see whether it is really required given that it too appears to be a rocket, and the 4-cyl mated to the 8sp box is really very good. I think it's the same box as my X6 has but with a lower rated torque converter and without the clever rear axle, so it should be very smooth.

I agree with the comments about runflats and hard ride, and would like something gentler, but my wife suffers from car sickness badly and any kind of wallowy or soft ride makes her ill in about 20mins. It's why she has an M-Sport 330cd and says he prefers the E53 now it too is on runflats. She an actually ride in the back of the X6 with no trouble at all, something she could not do in the X5 until the RFs went on.

9 month wait doesn't surprise me given the demand. It took 10 months to get the E53 in 2005 and we only got it that quick because the dealer had a slot already otherwise it would have been 14 months.

Incidentally the new 8sp transmission is capable of a direct, single step shift from 8th to 2nd!! No I haven't tried it!
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:46 pm

[quote=""Sanj""] Would you now test drive a 5 series too? Or is it a 4x4 all the way for you?[/quote]

4x4 is 1st choice at the moment :)

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:45 pm

As the others have said, top write up as ever AW8 :thumbsup:

I like the shape & style of the new X3 and who knows maybe in a few years one may be on the hit list. After coming out of my e53 V8 last summer and into an 20d 5er Touring with nearly half the bhp of the V8 (177 as to 320), I had my concerns. I need not have worried, as said on here before I have been more than impressed with the 5er in vertually every area. While 4x4 capabilty would be nice given the weather of late, my car did just cope. Sanj mentioned the new F11 5er, if this had 'xdrive' it would be a no brainer IMHO. Jeremy Clarkson did a write up on the new 5er 20d touring a few weeks back and concluded that it is probably the best all round car BMW build.

Sure a 6+ cylinder engine would be nice, but in this current climate and economical 4pot oil burner will do just fine :D and it would be even better if they put in a 23d into the f11 or maybe in the new X3 as per the X1.
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Wasn't 184bhp (or thereabouts) what the E53 3.0d first appeared with before the facelift took it to 218bhp? If so, the X3 is probably not going to need a 6-cyl lump. Two hairdryers would indeed be nice though... :D :driving:

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Indeed 186bhp was the output on the first e53 3.0d this engine in current models now puts put 245bhp. Back to the 20d engine, from memory this started life at 136 bhp and has now also risen by 184bhp for the new models, as for twin blowers, sadly never driven the 30d twin which I can only imagine is rapid however Mrs Chomper has a 123d (204bhp) returning around 50mpg the way she drives it :roll: and that is a mighty fine power plant. Slighty fettled, this would make for a perfect unit for the new X3/f11 touring :driving: :D

Edit: lesson to self don't have to many of these :drinkwine: before typing!!!!
Last edited by Chompers on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks - I'm glad the content was of some interest :)

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Gosh, mega write up!

Saw in autocar that msport on way soon - should help looks!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:41 pm

The M Sport vesions have now appeared on the BMW UK website

Model Fuel Power Capacity Consumption/CO2 emissions* Price

X3 xDrive20d M Sport Diesel 181 hp 1995 cc 50.4mpg / 149g [50.4mpg / 147g] £ 33,830.00

X3 xDrive20d SE Diesel 184 hp 1995 cc 50.4mpg / 149g [50.4mpg / 147g] £ 31,135.00

X3 xDrive30d M Sport Diesel 255 hp 2993 cc £ 39,315.00

X3 xDrive30d SE Diesel 255 hp 2993 cc £ 37,240.00

Go play with your config......... :D