Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What to look for - Cheap X3..

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
bascule

What to look for - Cheap X3..

Post by bascule » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:17 pm

So my ex-gf has spotted this car for sale..  Fresh MOT etc on it..

I know nothing about these engines or this model.  She loves my X5, and this really appeals to her!

Would really appreciate your thoughts and advice!  It's a cheapy one, but is still pushing her budget, so a) don't want to get it wrong, and b) there's not much more ££ to add.

She drives very few miles, circa 5k annually, mostly school runs and shopping and the occasional 40mile motorway run to visit me.  Manual is her preference too.

Please help!

Riggie

Re: What to look for - Cheap X3..

Post by Riggie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Link?

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 pm

You refer "this car" but don't give any more info other than saying "it's a cheapy one." .....No mention of year, trim level, engine type, history, condition, HPI status, etc.......Impossible to advise on that specific car without more info.

If your ex partner will be spending all available funds to buy then she wont have any funds to sort any issues needing attention,  (whether found before or after purchase). .....All makes and models of cars get through consumables & friction parts , (bulbs, blades, fluids, tyres, pads, discs & in the case of a manual don't overlook cost of a clutch & flywheel). Reality is it will likely need money spending to get it sorted or keep it sorted.

I wouldn't expect much north of 25mpg from a petrol model....less if its a school run & local use car.

As for what E83 are like. No major common reliability issues I know of. Interior prior to 2008 a bit low grade in eyes of some.  Best way to get some idea is to view &/or drive a few.

I am no expert on these but am aware the earlier cars were criticised for an unforgiving ride.....more so with the sport suspension.

A petrol 2.5i manual is a relatively safe bet if well maintained, long ticket plus relatively fresh clutch & flywheel. I would go for a petrol manual....no turbo woes or auto worries.

Not sure re swirl flaps on the diesel E83 models....perhaps do some digging in event a diesel is seriously considered.

A 2nd gen RAV4 2000-2005 would be my recommendation for a budget buy used soft roader.....reliable, quiet, smooth & will go around bends very well if suspension & rubber okay.....to the extent that only a very demanding driver would be likely to drive it near its roadholding limits.
Last edited by AW8 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

bascule

Post by bascule » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Lol, what a complete spoon - totally forgot to post the link.  Apologies all, and thank you for taking the time to reply regardless!

Yes it's a 2.5 petrol manual. It's proper cheap at just under £2k, banger territory - no illusions about that for sure, but I don't know much about the X3 - I would buy a cheap manual X5 in 3.0 petrol or diesel, but I wouldn't buy a cheap V8 auto one for example, so it's great to get the feedback on the 2.5 petrol. Economy isn't a great concern for the low miles she does, and she's old enough at 38 to get reasonable insurance.

It has a new MOT with no advisories, 2005 2.5i SE manual:

http://www.camberleymotorhouse.co.uk/us ... site-visit

Rav4 - my exMrs had one on a 51 plate and while i agree about it being a nice drive, it was an expensive dog, didn't find it particularly reliable at all - electrics, sensors, suspension bits, exhaust bits you name it and was dreadful on fuel - hang on a mo, that reminds me of something! ;)

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:53 pm

For the money asked I was expecting more of a snotter......the colour no doubt a factor in the asking money & I suspect it may have cloth inside......2nd cheapest E83 2.5i manual on AT at moment albeit I note most stock seems refreshingly priced to sell.

It presents okay tbh. Wheels might benefit from refurb & tailgate panel looks mismatched...I would want those sorting but tbh many wont be fussed at this sort of sale money .....Seller seems to do in house bodywork. Good if you need something sorting but bear in mind some outfits with in house paint shops choose ro buy stuff in that is in need of bodywork before being retailed. For the money & age I wouldn't be too concerned if any work had been done to a decent standard. Dealer reg plate on back indicates not been seriously rear shunted since last sold by a bmw dealer.

No interior pics.

Good if it has same tyre brand across each axle .....better if 4 matching. Have a look in bay & underneath car for any obvious fluid  leaks

Mot history doesnt ring any bells albeit it needs a new ticket as has just expired

Nissan Murano they have looks good value for another £500 albeit they are all auto's. Seller.also has a 1 owner 3.0i E83 auto SE with bodykit on it for £3k

Some mixed reviews online re the seller......as with any seller I recommend make it clear you aren't a timewaster but keep eyes wide open.

One final reminder check for proof of replacement cutch & flywheel !  Certainly not cheap on an E53 & I suspect similar news with an E83.
Last edited by AW8 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

gs223

Post by gs223 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Looks pretty good to me. Some things to check, from my recent experience:
  • Check all electric windows work reliably
  • Check both electric mirrors function
  • Check air con
  • I don't think it has the sunroof, which is good from a reliability PoV
  • Any smell of oil in the cabin or engine bay? This is a sign of valve cover gasket breakdown, almost always needs replacing at 100K
  • Check all tyres very carefully for uniform brand, size, and wear. Mixed tyres or uneven tyre wear are said to lead to big issues with the transfer box
  • Run fingers over brake discs (when cold) to check for uneven wear
  • Do a web search for X3 buyer's guide
Good luck! The X3 is very well built IMO, and if it's well maintained it should last years.

P.S. The only thing I don't like there are the side steps/running boards: although they look impressive I find these catch on the back of the legs getting in and out. Thankfully my SE does not have them. Anyone know if they are removable?
Last edited by gs223 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
X3 2004 3.0i SE

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:52 pm

They are removable.

Have a look on Realoem to see if something needs to go in their place that doesn't stick out so far.  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

gs223

Post by gs223 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Nothing, surely.
Last edited by gs223 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
X3 2004 3.0i SE