Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

warning lights!

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
nortonm50

warning lights!

Post by nortonm50 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi everyone.I am a new member based in n.Wales. I have a tidy e83 2ltr td with 108k on it

some months ago I changed the left front suspension arms and on driving the I saw the 4x4 symbol flash up then go out. This was followed by the discovery thatt the osf wheel bearing was faulty.

The mot was looming hence I decided to change the osf arms in addition to ball joints and hub bearing.

The hub bearing was a mare but was completed successfully. Testing the car brought on tge 4x4 light and abs in addition to another..the famous triad!

Connecting to my autel code reader and using live data revealed no signal from the osf sensor. I know the sensor was good prior to the work hence suspect the bearing is eaither faulty or I have installed it with the magnetic side the wrong way around.

Not discounting the actuator gear may have failed, I question if the bearing is actually the cause of the warning lights?

Has anyone enough knowledge to confirm this or otherwise?  It was not a genuine bearing but nor was it chinese.

And finally..no the tracking has not been done as the mot has now expired so I cannot move off the drive!

I have a new actuator gear but do not want to pull the unit unless I have to. I suspect it is plastic to safeguard the transmission otberwise metal would be used???

thank you

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: warning lights!

Post by Horizon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Have a read of this thread you may find it interesting as a starting point
http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... 10.15.html
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

nortonm50

Post by nortonm50 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks Horizon. Interesting but far from definitive. It seems to mirror my suspiciin but there must be a way to diagnose without a full strip down? Getting tge shaft back into the hub was ridiculously tight.

kkx5

Post by kkx5 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 pm

You said you got Autel so it should be easy to get the errors and start from there. If its sensor its sensor, if its transfer its transfer....

nortonm50

Post by nortonm50 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Yes it shows faults on both...ie transfer case actuator and in the case of the sensor..not found.

My concern was that all was fine before the wheel bearing change hence the query..i.e. Can the bearing failing to produce a signal for the abs sensor also cause the transfer box actuator code?  It seems logical but systems on modern cars seldom conform to logic.

Apologies if I sound persistent. Forums are great but there can be so many false avenues emerging from well meaning members.

All I want is to fix the damn thing as simply as possible. It has been off the road since may due to lack of interest but I have use for it soon.
Thank you for the responses.

kkx5

Post by kkx5 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Bad abs sensor/rectaring will always produce transfer box errors. Vtg (transfer box) ecu takes signal/speed from dsc/abs. If you do have abs sensor faults you will have transfer box errors and 9 out of 10 its the sensor. If you dont have sensor faults, just transfer box errors, 10 out of 10 its the transfer box. Plastic gear inside actuator motor, as you said, indeed acts as safeguard. Hope that helps.

nortonm50

Post by nortonm50 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:57 am

Thank you kkk5. Just the info I need and supporting my theory which is nice.
I will replace the bearing as I feel it is the root of the problem. I feel certain the sensor is good as it came out easily. No need to prise it plus all was well previously.

I will update once I find time to do it.