Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E83 Navigation screen gone black

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Filo22

E83 Navigation screen gone black

Post by Filo22 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:05 pm

The navigation screen has gone black on my X3, this led me to believe my screen had failed, so I tried to reinstall the updated software for the navigation system. After a couple of minutes the dvd unit powered up and the screen came to life informing me that the urrent software was the most updated version and to remove the dvd and click ok, which I did, it then said the system would reboot in a few seconds and then went black again. It never came back on, in fact the only time it does come on is when I put the sofware update dvd in and go through the process again. I'm thinking there must be a hard drive issue somewhere, any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: E83 Navigation screen gone black

Post by X5Sport » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:02 pm

I thought that the E83 used a mapping DVD rather than a hard drive based system?  Is the map disc OK?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Filo22

Post by Filo22 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:15 pm

It does have a dvd drive in the back, but when i put the updated software dvd in it takes ages for the dvd drive to fire up, the nav scree then works and tells me to remove the dvd and the system will reboot when I prompt OK, it does n't reboot, it just stays blank

Filo22

Post by Filo22 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Well had the dvd unit checked today and confirmed as dead, on to ebay now to source a replacement. BMW want an arm and a leg for a new one

mistertml

Post by mistertml » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:49 am

[quote="Filo22"]
The navigation screen has gone black on my X3, this led me to believe my screen had failed, so I tried to reinstall the updated software for the navigation system. After a couple of minutes the dvd unit powered up and the screen came to life informing me that the urrent software was the most updated version and to remove the dvd and click ok, which I did, it then said the system would reboot in a few seconds and then went black again. It never came back on, in fact the only time it does come on is when I put the sofware update dvd in and go through the process again. I'm thinking there must be a hard drive issue somewhere, any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks
[/quote]

Hi

I hope you’ve sorted your issue.

Please can you advise how the software is updated? I’m not sure what version I’m running but it looks pretty dated to me.

Thanks in advance

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:57 am

The Mk 4 software/ firmware is updated by removing the maps disc and inserting the V32 disc and following the instructions on the screen. l( search the forum and Google for V32 )
As you say the system is Very dated, I have the latest firmware in mine and it's still looks dated.
I now wished I'd gone for a non satnav equipped car as I would have fitted an aftermarket unit.
Unfortunately all the E83 aftermarket headunits seem to use the original radio and just give you new nav and Bluetooth.
Last week our MK4 unit was taking ages to boot up and we had the black screen for about 10 mins.
I left off the cubby hole cover and had a fan heater on low running in the boot for an hour, this sorted out the problem.
Now I have all the dash lit up like a Christmas tree as I think the ABS / DSC pump/ module has gone.
More expense
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

mistertml

Post by mistertml » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:16 am

My 2005 Sport didn’t have Sat Nav so it was easy to update to an aftermarket with USB input. But the boss insisted on having the satnav which I don’t use as google maps is much better.
My main issue is when I use mp3 cds and it’s a pain to search through as the track/file name isn’t listed until you select the song.
The interface is much better on my E90 professional cd play (non iDrive) as that at the very least shows the file names when trying to search.

Hope the lights is just a reset issue.

Thanks for the reply