Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E83 X3 Tyres query

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
NickM

E83 X3 Tyres query

Post by NickM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 am

Hi & sorry if this is dredging up old stuff, but I'm looking for some advice.
I have an E83 X3 2006 2.0D manual MSport. I've had it for about 10 months with no problems.
When I got the car there were a pair of brand new Pirelli PZero's on the back (255/45 R18) & a pair of Fulda's (?) on the front 235/50 R18 which were about half worn. As you can see it is a staggered set up.
No problems at all, no knocking or anything. However I've just had a couple of occasions when the trio of lights comes on if cornering quite fast & it feels awkward if pulling away from a standing start with some lock on the steering. I reckon it is time to replace the front tyres as they are now virtually at the markers.
The rear tyres are absolutely fine with loads of tread left.
On the basis that it was running absolutely fine with different brands on the front & rear axels, logic says replace like with like, however I can't seem to find Fulda tyres anywhere, so do you think it would be OK to put 2 brand new Uniroyal Rainsport 3's or 2 brand new Avon ZX7's on the front?
Or do you think it would be best to put 2 new Pirelli's on the front to match the rears?
Thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: E83 X3 Tyres query

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Firstly :hi:

Secondly X3’s are very intolerant of having other than the correct tyres.  Too many members on here have found that not fitting ‘*’ rated tyres on staggered setups frequently means a destroyed transmission!

BMW matched rolling radius tyre sets have a ‘*’ on the sidewall.  Given you are getting warning lights I suspect the car is telling you to put a full set of the right type on.

Wide variation in tread depth will also break the transmission.  It is not such a problem on non-staggered wheel sets and those can have pretty much any set fitted as long as the tread depth is kept within 1.5%.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kkx5

Re: E83 X3 Tyres query

Post by kkx5 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 pm

4xUniroyal Rainsport 3's. Do not mix tyres on x3.