Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth Query

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
X3nut

Bluetooth Query

Post by X3nut » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:00 pm

I have a 2005 X3 but the bluetooth won't connect the phone to the car. It would connect to the system about 5 secs after you answered the phone but half the time it won't connect at all. The phone is a Xperia Z but it doesn't work with my S7 edge either.

I have found that our car has the generation 6 module and have heard that getting the latest gen13 module would solve the problem so I thought I would check with the forum if this is the case. Is there a way of updating the existing module to accommodate new phones or do I have to change it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bluetooth Query

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:06 pm

BMW had serious challenges with Bluetooth back then.  As far as I understand it you cannot update a module to a later version as the firmware is fixed into the on board processor.

Replacing it with the later version is plug and play however finding a good module could be the problem unless you can afford new from BMW.

I don’t think any other manufacturer (or at least their module supplier) managed to get it so wrong so often in just one year!

Alternatively a Parrot type system will do.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X3nut

Re: Bluetooth Query

Post by X3nut » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for that, I've considered the parrot kit but I want to keep it stock if I can. I'll have a look around for a new module.

Cheers