Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just bought a 2.0d X3 - burns oil (?) when warm and idle

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
davidws

Just bought a 2.0d X3 - burns oil (?) when warm and idle

Post by davidws » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Apologies if I haven't introduced myself and my first post is a cry for help, hope I'm not breaking any rule :) I also couldn't find other threads with the exact same issue. 

In short: car seems to be burning oil when warm (oil gauge in the middle) and idling, but idles fine, has no hiccups nor power drops, no smoke while driving around or starting it up.  I'm not sure if a major fault and I should bring it back for a refund, or if this is a non-major issue, or I don't know diesels and/or the car is going through DPF regeneration. No clue for now.

Long story: 2 weeks ago I bought a 2006 X3 2.0d from a dealer. Drove away all happy as I test drove the car for half hour on motorway/town etc, checked fluid levels and caps etc and everything seemed absolutely fine. Car drives perfectly and doesn't miss a beat, just needed new rear wheel bearings and MOT, which were done.

Last weekend while sitting at a traffic light I see a cloud of whiteish/gray smoke from the side window, get out of the car and notice it smells like burnt plastic.

I drive away, all panicky and thinking I am going to have a ton of headaches for this, but when I stop at the next light no smoke. I get on the motorway and no smoke.
I get to the airport and a lot of smoke again, but less than before.

Next day I pick up the car again, drive to halfords and stick some diesel cleaner additive in the car. Warm engine, stop at a traffic light and see it smoking, but less smoke than the previous day. 

Call dealer, who replies it may be the DPF regeneration that is causing the smoke. Not too convinced, I take the car to my own garage. My chap there sees the smoke and says it's more than likely burning oil and could be anything, valve seals, injectors, piston rings etc. None sounding cheap and cheerful.

Here's a video I took earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYPbz9eQPw0

Worth pursuing a repair? Or shall I start looking for a refund?

davidws

Re: Just bought a 2.0d X3 - burns oil (?) when warm and idle

Post by davidws » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Btw, service history shows that the turbo was replaced/fixed about 10k miles ago.. so shouldn't be related.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 pm

If it’s doing a DPF regen then all of the engine fans will be running - so I’m suspicious of that being the answer.

Anything burning oil should be of concern.  The costs could be very high given it’s a BMW.  I’d either ask the supplying dealer to fix it, or give you your money back.

Could be the turbo even though replaced.  Not unknown for them to fail again.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

davidws

Post by davidws » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks for your reply.
What puzzles me is that it's not consistent.. just got back from a 20mins drive and under the same conditions saw zero smoke. It seems like the longer the drive the more the smoke when I stop, as if the oil (if that's what it is) pools up and then gets burnt. Better safe than sorry though, I'll go see the dealer this weekend to figure it out what's next..

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:17 pm

[quote="davidws"]
Thanks for your reply.
What puzzles me is that it's not consistent.. just got back from a 20mins drive and under the same conditions saw zero smoke. It seems like the longer the drive the more the smoke when I stop, as if the oil (if that's what it is) pools up and then gets burnt. Better safe than sorry though, I'll go see the dealer this weekend to figure it out what's next..
[/quote]Either way you have a car that is faulty. Ask them to repair it, with a written letter as proof. If it comes back and not to your satisfaction, demand a full refund. Might be worth stating that in your letter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

davidws

Post by davidws » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:50 am

So I took the car straight to BMW for a full inspection and, believe it or not, the smoke was caused by the dpf regen. That would be reassuring if it wasn’t that bmw also spotted an oil leak from the engine and one from the differential. The cherry on top is that the VTG motor connector was disconnected and the socket contained paper from a pack of cigarettes, I assume to conceal a fault with the motor itself.
Definitely taking it back, but I already see myself having to take the dealer to court as they’re not looking cooperative at all..