Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine check light?

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
wilsbrough

Engine check light?

Post by wilsbrough » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi Guys.

So a while back my engine light came up on my dash, car was running fine, but booked it into the garage. They said there was some stored codes, but could not find anything wrong, so cleared them for me. This lasted about a week and then on it came again. Garage said that if a code has come up, then this could be what the fault was. So in it went, tho annoyingly enough, the day i went to take it in, the light went off by itself, but i thought best to get them to look as it was all arranged. Again, they could not find anything wrong.... This has lasted a couple of weeks and this morning what was on? Yep the engine light.....!!

Now obviously i don't want to keep handing my cash over to the garage for them to find nothing wrong, Is there some sort of pedal test so i can check for codes myself? and anyway of clearing the engine light? As again, car is running perfectly.... (car is 2004 e83 3.0ltr petrol if that helps)

Any help would be much appreciated.

briankerrys47

Re: Engine check light?

Post by briankerrys47 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Firstly what is  the state of  your Battery always first port of call ? my engine light appears now and then over 8 years ? then it goes on ´holiday´

wilsbrough

Re: Engine check light?

Post by wilsbrough » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:58 pm

The battery seem fine, tho i have no tools to check for that sort of thing, it starts up without any effort. but it did come on for the first time after we had some heavy snow, obviously being winter it was dark going to and from work. So lights/wipers/heating/radio all on all the time. (the days are lighter now, but the engine light is still on) Other than that i do have a dash-cam with constant live permanently on. If i dont drive over the weekend it struggles to start up on a monday morning, but still does it. i think over a third day it would have drained the battery.....