Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Diesel or petrol??

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Liam_c30

Diesel or petrol??

Post by Liam_c30 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:53 am

Hi guys

New here and looking to purchase an X3 in the next few weeks however I’m stuck on wheather to get a petrol or diesel?
I’ve seen the petrol 2.5i sport 2004 reg manual. Or the 2.0 desiel SE 2005 reg manual.

Can any one help out with tax prices and also fuel costs?
We would only be going around town and maybe a few long journey around the country. I understand that the UK are starting to phase out diesels so that’s pushing me to the petrol but to be honest do I really need to worry about that seeing as it seems a long way off?

Other than fuel costs is there any pros or cons between the 2 models I should be aware of?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Diesel or petrol??

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:57 pm

2040 before diesels are phased out.

Short journeys don’t warrant a diesel as you need to be doing the mileage, but petrol cars are harder to find at present.

Petrol models are likely to be less than 20mpg and diesels above 30mpg.  Road tax will depend upon year and trim.  Petrol models have to be worked quite hard to get them going - and mpg suffers.  What may happen with non EU5/6 cars is the government decides to increase tax on those models, and places such as London whack an ‘access charge’ on.

When you do go looking, check what tyres are fitted.  They should be marked with a ‘*’ on the sidewall.  If either car has staggered wheels (different tyres front/rear) this is particularly careful. The X3 transmission is very sensitive to tyres and increasing numbers on here are reporting damage with tyres being the most likely cause.

Oh and :hi:
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.