Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What is the correct battery?! Help please

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
phil-e30

What is the correct battery?! Help please

Post by phil-e30 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:56 am

Morning all,

Seems the car needs a new battery, after a long journey I came back to found the car completely dead, the remote key wouldn't even work. It started fine with a jump and the alternator seems to be working absolutely fine. First port of call is a battery change, if the problem persists I guess I'll have to look for the source of parasitic drain.. :noexpression:

Problem is, I'm getting a complete mish-mash of information on what the correct battery for the car is. It currently has a 95ah Bosch in place, at Euro Car Parts and GSF I get various 95ah and 100ah suggestions. I called BMW and they have told me their system says 70ah or 90ah  :blink:!? They are also telling me that they're not sure if it needs a standard battery or AGM battery.

Can anyone shed any light on what the actual requirement is? The car is a 3.0i from '04.

Thanks very much!

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: What is the correct battery?! Help please

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am

95 or 100 will be ok as long as it fits.
BMW fit the smaller one but i would get the exact same as is fitted now.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Realoem will show you the size fitted and then you can choose.  Check whether your current battery is marked AGM somewhere on the label or case.  If it is then you should match with an AGM type.  They use a higher charge voltage than standard batteries.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

phil-e30

Post by phil-e30 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Cheers guys. I ended up with a 95AH Bosch S4 013 battery, which is a like-for-like replacement on the old battery. It seemed to tick all boxes I could identify using online searches and speaking to BMW, it's not AGM, but as the previous battery wasn't either it shouldn't be of any consequence.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Glad you found one.  Keep the receipt carefully in case of a warranty claim with that battery.  If non-AGM before and now, there will be no issue  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

jagr

Post by jagr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 am

2011 BMW X3 30d M Sport