Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DIY help needed.

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
wilsbrough

DIY help needed.

Post by wilsbrough » Thu May 24, 2018 8:05 pm

Hey guys.

had a few problems with my car lately. just got it back from the garage where it was patched up but not permanently repaired. I am looking at a potential bill of over £1500.... But there are some thing that were on the list, that i'm sure i could do myself if someone could point me in the right direction with any suitable links.

The car need rear discs, pads and shoes. now i have changed pads before no probs, and i have found a pretty helpful vid on the disc too, but none for the handbrake shoes. Although i have found vids for 3.0 e46 3 series, would i be right in thinking they are pretty much the same, and just follow the process for my car?

Also they have listed the breather assembly (with pipes), this part alone was £146 ex vat, they did say these were dealer prices and was giving me the worst case scenario, but i believe i found this part much cheaper, but it was called a pcv crankcase vent valve breather hose kit. Is this the same unit? If so, any how too links on fitting? Again can find other models but struggling to find any x3 in english. (found a great one in German)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

marti

Re: DIY help needed.

Post by marti » Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 pm

You'll find all the all the how to's here:

https://www.newtis.info/

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 am

Pelican Parts do a brilliant ' how to' on most BMW's cars, with photo pictures on step by step guides.
It is an American site, but still the same except lhd.
Have recommended this site for the past 3 years.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

A Blair

Post by A Blair » Fri May 25, 2018 11:56 pm

Plus one for Pelican Parts.
They cater for a lot of marques and I have always found them pretty much exact.
Good luck with the job and post your experiences up.
X5 E53 2005 4.4 Sport. Toledo Blue
Things to consider.
Radio. (something in
Detail Car.

wilsbrough

Post by wilsbrough » Tue May 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Ta for the links guys, both pretty useful. hopefully be tackling some jobs by the weekend.