Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

x3 e83 4b90 fault code non starter 3.0d :-(

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
yetti24

x3 e83 4b90 fault code non starter 3.0d :-(

Post by yetti24 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi all i am the now not so proud owner of an x3 3.0d, to be fair its been reliable for the last 10000 miles since i bought it.
It all started with my dde light coming on a couple of times while driving from work, then on the way to work it came on and would not go out unless i deleted the code with my scanning tool. I managed to drive to work with the scanning tool on my lap deleting the code everytime the light came on thus keeping the car from conking out. A day later trying to limp the car home it completely died going down a hill and came with a second code 4B90.
I have changed the throttle body and egr unit and solved the first issue but i am very stuck on the second.

So far i have found that fuel is getting to the pipe that connects to the fuel rail but will not get past the fuel pressure regulator unless i loosen it from the back of the rail ( i have changed the preesure regulator but still no joy,
with it loosened fuel fills the rail and fuel pipes for each injector but will not fire or try to.
Any help of where to start would be great ( could it be injectors failing ) ? i am at a loss thanks

marti

Re: x3 e83 4b90 fault code non starter 3.0d :-(

Post by marti » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Fault code 4B90 -RAIL PRESSURE CONTROL AT START,,,,,,, when car is cranking fuel pressure bleeds off via broken jammed needles in injectors so will not atomize the fuel spray at the injector tip,,,did you not get injector codes prior???...you should have done or you would have done on live diagnostics...its one or more of your injectors gone..had this before and it was only one injector..
Last edited by marti on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yetti24

Post by yetti24 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi i did not have any fault codes for injectors before only had the two codes mentioned. Would i be able to get the live data by cranking it over even though it does not run ? I just cannot understand why the fuel pressure regulator will not open to let fuel into the rail. thanks for your help i will try an look at the injectors

marti

Post by marti » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:45 pm

You only mentioned one code....no cranking it over will not give you live data,the fuel pressure regulator is opening, but as one or more of the injectors has gone a message is sent to the ECU via the injector/injectors telling it to close...."Hello Im not working so no fuel required"

yetti24

Post by yetti24 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:32 am

Hi marti many thanks that will be my next port of call then injectors

yes_its_neil

Post by yes_its_neil » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 am

What was the outcome with your non-starting engine, did you get it resolved?