Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2007 x3 m sport 2.0ltr diesel

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
iceberg1

2007 x3 m sport 2.0ltr diesel

Post by iceberg1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:02 am

Hello,

I am in the process of looking at a 2007 x3 m sport and wondered what your opinions are on them? I have looked at the underside and it seems clean except for the bars that attach to the front wheels (not mechanically minded) seem to have rust on them... is this normal for a car of this age?

also, what should I look out for?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2007 x3 m sport 2.0ltr diesel

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:48 pm

Check the tyres.  That generation X3 is very sensitive to use of non-OEM approved rubber (which are marked on the sidewall with an ‘*’).  Mismatched tyres, particularly on those with staggered wheel sizes, can and has led to diff or transfer box failure.

Any sort of noises from the transmission (whining, grumbling etc) or jerkiness in the driveline and walk away.  Wrong tyres would be enough to keep me away from buying it.

UK road agencies chuck a lot of salt about.  If it is only surface rust then after 11 years it is going to be there.  If it’s more serious than surface rust then a more careful choice needs taking.  If the car is a ‘seaside’ car - subjected to salt air - there will be more corrosion too.

Plenty of info on the Forum about X3s and some very knowledgable owners.

Oh, and :hi: too  :D
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.