Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat nav

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
henryhairbag

Sat nav

Post by henryhairbag » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:26 am

Hi I am new to this forum so please bear with me .My wife recently purchased a 2010 x3 which she is very happy with however it does not have sat nav as standard can anyone recommend a system that will work on her model it's a 2010 with m sport styling .Thank you

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sat nav

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Have a look at either Garmin or Tom Tom portables. They’ll work better, give more information and often come with free map updates for life (of the unit). Their top of the range systems are still less than the cost of a single map update from BMW!

Getting an OEM system will be very expensive and the look-a-like after market ones need careful investigation to ensure they play nicely with the kit in the car. Few (if any) will fully integrate seamlessly.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henryhairbag

Post by henryhairbag » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:16 am

Yes that makes sense to me can also be used in other vehicles just need to convince wife now

yes_its_neil

Post by yes_its_neil » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 am

I went down this path about 8 months ago. Some initial teething problems and steering wheel buttons don't do all functions, but volume up down does. I did not use the bluetooth for phone calls option with the unit, because it is very average, plus the microphone is on the wrong side for right hand drive cars. I am using the factory bluetooth for calls, and the steering wheel buttons have the original functionality. The launch screen I am using is not the unit's default, it is one I got from the play store. Has internet connectivity via a LTE (4G) wifi USB modem fitted to the rear cigarette socket.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-25-i ... 4c4d6FyECS
Attachments
E83_1.jpg
E83_1.jpg (135.83 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
E83_2.jpg
E83_2.jpg (119.56 KiB) Viewed 1528 times