Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X3 tyre problem

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Cliffyb71

X3 tyre problem

Post by Cliffyb71 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 am

Hi there, I recently replaced rear tyres on my x with budget tyres as was unaware of issues with the x drive , so juddering and knocking started and after a quick google search realised my error.

I contacted a larger tyre dealer who was well aware of the issues with these and advised some branded tyres, he could not get Dunlop oe as I needed in a hurry for holiday next day but said the Goodyear Eagle f1 would be fine.

Got a set fitted and I all fairness the car was immediately better to drive until about 20 miles and juddering and knocking started again.

So I it possible tyres are still causing this or have the cheap tyres damaged my diff/ transfer.

Any advise much appreciated

mr angry

Re: X3 tyre problem

Post by mr angry » Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Before you do anything, have a diagnostic scan carried out to determine if the vehicle has any faults logged relating to the xdrive system. Are there any warnings on the idrive?

Cliffyb71

Post by Cliffyb71 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:36 pm

No I have not had any warning lights, hoping to get it scanned early next week

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri May 31, 2019 7:49 pm

I had horrendous drivetrain problems when I picked up my E83 3.0 D 2009 M sport, running staggered setup
Researched the problem and found out the front rims are only 1/2 inch thinner than the rears.
Looked at the tyre sizing table for rim widths and the rear tyre size is compatable with the front rims .
I think it had 9.5j the back and 9j on the front, that's only 6mm each side of the tyre.
Fitted identical budget tyres ( same width and profile/ manufacture on all 4 corners )
Problem solved
Well all the transmission problems.😬😀
It's still the worst BMW/ car I have ever owned though, put me off Beemers for life 🤔

Cliffyb71

Post by Cliffyb71 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:21 am

Thanks, gonna get it checked this week diff/ transfer just to rule out they haven’t been damaged hopefully if there ok I’ll swap tyres ! Still hard to believe tyres can cause this much trouble.

yes_its_neil

Post by yes_its_neil » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 am

How did this end up? I haven't been to the forum for several months and was doing some catch-up reading. Would be worth doing the transfer case adaptation if you have access to the software.