Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starter issue

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
gs223

Starter issue

Post by gs223 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 pm

On turning to start, nothing happening at all, won't turn over; no clicking sound or any noise at all. Battery/electricals are fine. AA man suggested starter/solenoid. Looked at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUTUxa89W68
and replacement seems like a real stinker of a job. Anyone been there, done that?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Starter issue

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Starter failure very common on the 30d (M57 series engines) engines in the early to mid-2000’s. You haven’t said what engine you have?

Worth having a look at Newtis.info as it is a copy of the official service instructions.

Beware of some YT videos as they cover the LHD models. Those are very different to do because of the steering gear etc. The videos for our E46 (M57 engine) suggested major disassembly of the transmission was also required - it wasn’t! Only the inlet manifold had to come off which allowed access to the two bolts holding the starter. Some of the wiring and vacuum hoses weren’t in ideal positions but I still got the starter changed OK. On the E46 the starter is high up on the right side of the engine looking into the bay.

If yours is the same then starters can be got from ECP and although fiddly because of the angles to get at things, and the starter bolts being VERY tight you can DIY. You will probably need long extensions, eTorx sockets, an angled adapter and a big torque wrench. I think the bolts were at least 140Nm.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

gs223

Post by gs223 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks for comments.
I seem to have lost my sig when the board was restructured. It was/is:
X3 2004 3.0i SE
Will see what garage says. The part(s) don't seem to expensive, but the work involved seems big.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:16 am

If I have the right version, it doesn’t look too bad a job....as long as you can get under the car. No major disassembly listed. Looks like the same two-bolt mount.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e83- ... ng/FT7KzqD

I used a Bosch remanufactured starter and it’s been fine for the last 4 years. Yours definitely falls into the right timeframe and engine size for those with the failing starters. The ‘usual’ clue is excessive current draw - more than 180A (2.2kW) as a result of winding short circuits inside meaning either no start or very slow cranking and a battery dying after a few attempts.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.